Bearing Replace?

Dakota_Lew

XS650 Agronomist
Reaction score
I took off my mags wheels a month ago to tinker with the setup and did a few cosmetic fixes of the mags them selves. Now the bearing were fine and dandy when I pulled them off and there was no ticking sound or anything like that, really they seemed just fine. I wouldn't go around changing all my wheel bearing on my pickups just becuase I had the tires off so why would I do the bike?

Then I think the opposite, Hell I got the mags off I just might as well replace them regardless for peace of mind? Not only that since I have had them off how much dust and and other junk got into them while they were off (for a month), is it a big deal?

Honestly I don't really want to mess with them, me and bearings have a past when it comes to installing them haha, so I would prefer to not to deal with them if I had my choice, but you do what you got to do. I have a feeling I am over thinking this So I guess my questions is what would you do, or what is the smart thing to do?

Thanks ahead of time.

The bearings should be the sealed type on your model so no dirt and dust should have gotten in them. A little may have gotten in the hub if you had the wheel sitting without the axle stuck back through (ALWAYS stick the axle back in when you remove a wheel). What you might consider doing is adding some fresh grease to your existing bearings. They're supposed to be "lubed for life" but many come with very little grease in them - and that was 25 or 30 years ago. They could use a little fresh grease now I'm sure.

I decided to change my wheel bearings just becuase they were old. After I go them out I could tell they were in bad shape, the rear bearings had been getting so hot they had discolored. But I couldn't tell any other way as they seemed to be very tight but probably about ready to go. It's hard to say but they are 30 year old bearings with 30 year old grease that has changed to wax. I used "All Balls" bearings. Inexpensive and good.

Last edited:
+ 1 for All Balls bearings. They come in a kit w/seals and much cheaper price than Mike's. I was in the same boat and figured while I had the wheels off it was a good time to replace the bearings and seals as everything was original.

Back