Belt drive

Fungorus

"ride hard...live long"
Reaction score
Hello all
I am thinking of converting my XS650 into a belt driven bike. I have a GPZ250 wrecker in the shed (has belt drive). Has anyone tried to use that system on the XS650? any other suggestions? Just putting it out there before I spend hours pulling things apart and trying :doh:. You never know someone may have tried already....otherwise I will try and let you know how it goes. :thumbsup: Carl

Cleaner running (no lube slung around) less noise, smoother (it's rubber). My '84 H-D Low Rider had it. KZ440's had them.

Also you can use more torque, less chain stretch etc......more surface area....cleaner....quieter.....and different.......

I would think you'd need to offset the rear tire or go to a smaller tire though. Even still here is Rayner's business card

xsories.jpg

He shouldn't need to offset or go with a smaller tire. He can alter the swingarm to accommodate the pulley. Another pulley to replace the front sprocket and he should be good to go. It should be a fairly uncomplicated conversion.

He shouldn't need to offset or go with a smaller tire. He can alter the swingarm to accommodate the pulley. Another pulley to replace the front sprocket and he should be good to go. It should be a fairly uncomplicated conversion.

This is true; he'd also have to lengthen the axle or machine a new one.

I don't think you'll be able to due to space constraints on the tranny output shaft.
Most belt drives i've seen have ahuge front pulley for wich you have no room on an XS650 due to the close proximity of the clutch push rod and shifter shaft.
And if you find a small enough front pulley then you need to find a small rear pulley that will keep you to a 2 to 1 gear ratio.

I don't think you'll be able to due to space constraints on the tranny output shaft.
Most belt drives i've seen have ahuge front pulley for wich you have no room on an XS650 due to the close proximity of the clutch push rod and shifter shaft.
And if you find a small enough front pulley then you need to find a small rear pulley that will keep you to a 2 to 1 gear ratio.

Check out Glens bike in This thread

Back