bench polisher /grinder choice

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
just about to buy a bench grinder and polisher for polishing my covers fenders and stuff but don't want to end up buying a lemon.

How much power do you need to polish the engine covers and small ali bits ?

There are loads of cheap 6" grinders around at $35.00 but is 150w too little power for polishing ? Would the motor bog down at 150w ?

if I go for a 350w grinder the price shoots up to about $100+ and then polishing wheels and paste on top of that . !

Peanut,

I was looking for the same answers to your questions. What type grinder/polisher did you end up buying (assuming) that you bought something)?

Thanks.

when it comes to polishers get a pol. not a grinder eastwood has a good one
but harbor freight also sell them I have a 6" works very good just a little low on power
cost 40 bucks. If i had it to do over I'd get a 8" about 80 bucks.the 6" works just takes a little longer.( you have to use less pressure on the wheel.) works great for $40.00
I'll get some pic.of stuff polished if needed.if you going make money polishing get a good one but if it's just a hobby H/F works great.

Thanks, Double D.

I just posted a new thread where I did a specs comparison of an 8" HF BENCH Grinder vs. a Lowes Porter Cable 8" Bench Grinder. I have a Lowes Credit Card. :D

I'm assuming that I can convert the bench grinder into a polisher, but I have no idea how hard this is to do.

Your comments are very comparable to those just made by 5twins (a good thing!) on the other thread I started.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Peanut,

I was looking for the same answers to your questions. What type grinder/polisher did you end up buying (assuming) that you bought something)?

Thanks.

Hi sorry I didn't see this post before.

I bought a 6" Clarke CBG6250 bench grinder for £51.76 delivered next day from Machine mart .
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cbg6250-6-bench-grinder

Its a 250W heavy duty grinder and is very well put together.
you need 250Watts power for polishing . Anything less will just keep bogging down when polishing large pieces like engine cases etc.

I also purchased 2x 12.7mm right and left handed taper spindles for converting either end to polishing wheels £12
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-7mm-Left-and-Right-Hand-Taper-spindles-for-Bench-Grinders-and-Polishing-kits-/261155516488?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3cce14f048

Its a 2 minute job to remove the nut on either end of the shaft and fix a spindle in with the supplied grub screw. Polishing in 3 minutes flat.

Back