bendix gear looks to be working.....

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys ,,,well i,ve been playing with my xs650 ,, the right side was removed and the kick start got a new spring and tensioned but sort of worked slow to come back up and because i was re-useing my 4th gear again as money was tight and the gear looked o.k. i flick the old spring off the gear and squeesed it in the vice then got it back on the gear /put back togetherthew the side cover back on and put some mineral 20-50 oil in as thats all i could get around where i live ,, i travelled 40 k to get thee oil,,, so at the weekend without spark plugs in i kicked it over with the electric starter ,,and a strange noise,,,, hang on it was not clunking/rattling at the moment i,m tickled pink i live in hope things can only get better regards oldbiker,,,,sorry as was explained to me by a well known aussie xs650 nutter who is known for rephasing /camming,, carbs major rebuilds etc ,,,suggested clamping bandix in vice as he always does even to new mikes set ups ,,but i,d suggest looking at the amount of wear on no.4 gear where the bendix is you can see that before adventuring on or buying a new 1 for me money was tight but if need be i,ll buy a new set up from mikes

Last edited:
So you removed the gear and pressed the spring in your vice? My gear has never engaged since I bought the bike. I was thinking of trying this and I'm glad to hear that it's worked for someone. I may give it a shot.

did the same, but it still grinds fairly regularly, seems to pop out under load, worked fine with no spark plugs too, so don't claim victory yet.... sorry to bear potentially bad news...

hi i did retry it again,,,sorry,,,kicking it over without the plugs in,,, i will put the plugs in once i re-do the points,,, AGAIN,, i tried buying a new bendix from a german company,, and just got stuffed around,,,,,,so i gave them a miss ,,regards oldbiker

If I'm going to have it apart to repair, I might as well buck up and pay the forty some bucks for the new gear.

Back