bendix spring removal........

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys ,,,am i able to easily remove the circlip at the end of the gear and without dramas slip off the gear and bendix spring /bend and or replace as i,ve got a new spring ,,,regards oldbiker

Very simple and im not mechanical at all pulled mine a bit and pinched the wishbone clip fixing the starter no problem free fix my teeth were pretty worn and No more grinding

thanks for your reply... ,,i,m in a small hick town in the western wimmera aust... its good to know i can get good advice from guys with similar bikes and good experience on their xs650....regards oldbiker

I plan on attempting this fix on mine as well. I want to reserve the kick for when its warmed up. I always break a sweat kicking her over when cold.

good to know i don't have to buy that kit from mikes to re-do my girlfriends 1981 special. the next oil change i'm going to be tearing into it to get rid of the awful grinding noise. until then she can get some experience with a kick start only motorcycle.

XS John reported that the drag clip included in that rebuild kit was of questionable quality and weaker than the originals so you probably are better off just bending the old one tight again. That fix has held up fine in my bike for about 10K miles and several years now. If it starts acting up again, I'm just going to bend it tight again :)

Back