Berrymans Chem Dip - how long is good?

Rez Fink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
its midnight here and i just dropped my valves and pistons in the chem dip.... will they be ok till the morning? (6am) i also placed some very small rags soaked in chem dip on on the inside of the upper 'head' (where the valves are seated) because they are CAKED in carbon..

is this all ok?

Did you read the instructions? Chem-Dip has phosphoric acid in it that will dissolve your aluminum over time. I think you are OK in this instance, but read that can! On your carbon caked stuff, soak in ammonia, agitating every couple of hours.

thanks... well last night i got nervous and took off the rags soaked in dip...so i still need to get the carbon off of those 'heads'

but everything looks ok..

so from what ive read on other threads pine sol works good too?

ammonia or pine sol, any other carbon cleaning remedies? this carbon is like 1/16 thick and hard as a rock.

and i dont have a brass brush or wheel ...just steel.

On many occasions I have left carbs in for 24hrs. No damage and it seems to be the only way to clean the damn things.

not to dispute anyones word.
B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner does not react with any metal, including aluminum. However, if the aluminum has a lacquer or painted coating on it, this coating will more than likely be removed. now that's for#0996 chem dip

Due to changing state laws that started with California, Berryman was required to reformulate its solvent/acid based parts cleaner for California user several years ago. It was marketed as #0996C. With further advances in the effectiveness of water-based amine chemistry, the success of the required California changes, the recognition that other states would soon be following California’s example, and the decision by one of our largest retailers to carry one part number system-wide, we decided to focus on the amine chemistry. The new formula is safer to use and the new formula is 100% active cleaner. The approach to cleaning is different with water-based technology, and a small amount of time may be sacrificed in some cases to get to the end result, but the end result should be the same.

Last edited:
Good info Carbon. Have not used it in a long time. Times they are a changing. Phosphoric works good though. Pour a coke in with it!

when it comes to removing carbon...it seems that AMONIA is the winner...! i used pine sol, chem-dip, and amonia.... ammonia loosened up the carbon on the head right away. it worked great BUT it looks like it oxidized the aluminum. Im hoping that some buffing will remove the oxidization?

Back