Best chain breaker

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the past I have used a grinder to remove links from chains. I’m thinking I should invest in a chain breaker. What’s the design of choice?
87C45238-418F-4E63-9E50-35BF825D4AD6.png
B749AA9C-BEAA-4C0A-9B4E-76C39F28FDAA.png
I’d imagine it would get limited use (like many of my “specialized” tools) so I don’t plan to break the bank on this purchase. Thanks in advance for your comments.

IMHO even when using a chain breaker you're better off grinding the heads off the pins. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the breaker.

Makes sense. That would suggest I wouldn’t need a real heavy duty tool to push the pins out then?

First pic is totally the way to go.

will work on a drive chain and a cam chain.

Pic 2 will get your bike chain off haha

About 3 months ago I bought what you have in pic 2 (for use on a cb500t) but you have to clamp it around the chain so it can’t be used if your area to break is on a sprocket or gear and it also requires a lot of space to use it.

Long story short I had to get what you have in pic 1. Simple design and works well. Can also get it into tight spaces and break a link no matter where it’s resting.

Good tools are good, better tools are even better.
I personally have never used a breaker on drive chains.

I've managed to get by with #2 since about 1970.

Of course, all my motorcycle chains have had clip-on master links so getting them off the bike to work on them was a non-issue.

Dunno if the FJ has a clip style or not, and at ~17,000 miles, I should probably check on that...:confused:

IMHO even when using a chain breaker you're better off grinding the heads off the pins. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the breaker.

Totally agree with this statement, I’ve read a lot of stories about guys bending the post on their chain breakers by trying to just muscle that pin through. It only takes a few minutes to grind it flush first.

I just use this one that I brought from 650 Direct. Seems to be fine, though I ground the head of the rivet pin off first. Maybe they sell them at Mikes XS as well?

Attachments

• 35-0083XS.jpg
    35-0083XS.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 79
I’ll see what Amazon has. Thx

looks like they have a similar product fir about $52 plus tax.

Last edited:
And if you do happen to break a pin, nice (better quality) replacements are available from Motion Pro. Their rivet pin in particular is very nice. The head is shaped better than what usually comes in the kits so it rivets better. You might consider that pin even if your original isn't broken.

hBEX2Z7.jpg

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0062

Do you have a Dremel Tool? If not, I'd get that and let it do double duty as my chain breaker. Much more versatile than a bench grinder and very handy. To drive the pin out once the head is gone you can use anything.

Back