Best electric setup to run?

TheHoboExpress

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok all here is the bike:
82 xs650 heritage special
Factory tci

I am doing a full rebuild on the bike,engine, frame. The engine will have new bearings and seals as well as any cylinders, valves and pistons. I will be running mikuni 34mm roundslides w uni pods.

I will be building a custom wiring harness and I want to know what is the best/most reliable system to run. Should I go back to the old points style and eliminate the TCI box or should I run Boyer ftw?

I need your all's sage wisdom.

Brandon

I kept my tci. if it works run it. I am happy with it. If it frys I will be going to permant mag. If Im going back to points might as well drop the battery!

If all is working and you are satisfied with the alternater output, yhe TCI sys may be the best/ most reliable. Ibought a working TCI unit on E-bay last summer for less than $70.00. Wrapped it in bright orange paper (after checking it) and labeled it (so the old lady can find it easily if I break on the road).
Seriously considering going to a points sys' ONLY because I want a brighter headlight and the stock alt' is suspect at best. Will have to make the "perm' mag" conversion. Have less than $60.00 (again E-bay ) in the parts, needing on the advance rod seals and bearings. Heven't started acquiring the perm' mag' parts.

Back