Best or at least good sprockets

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 75 xs 650 that the sprockets are getting worn out 17t front 34t rear (stock)
I would like to put a 32t or 31t on the rear to cut down rpms at highway speeds
I tried ordering Sunstar sprockets but the only had the stock sizes and "Maybe" they could get me a 33t for the rear
I really want to keep the 17t on the front JT sprockets??

I think most people here go with a 32 or 33 for highway riding. I'm only 'bout 160 soakin' wet, so I put a 31 on mine.... but I ain't got it on the road yet. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that you're only dealing with about a 50HP bike here. Gear it too high and you'll kill the bike's "fun factor". It will be a real dog off the line and lose most of it's "oomph" in the lower gears, the very things that make this bike so enjoyable. Also, the bike won't pull top gear to redline if you go much below a 32 on the back, it just doesn't have the power. Yes, stick with the stock 17T on the front. For the rear, I recommend dropping just one tooth to a 33. I know it doesn't sound like much but it makes a nice difference. It will drop highway cruising RPMs 3 or 400 RPMs, and won't kill the low end performance. I think it's the ideal choice for an 18" rear wheel and this motor's power output, and is actually what Yamaha put on the European models.

I've heard that JT sprockets are pretty good and are what I will most likely get next time I need some. I like steel ones as opposed to aluminum because they last longer. The small weight saving on the aluminum ones is negligible in my opinion, we're not racing here. A better deal can be had off eBay than from Mike's .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

As far as a chain goes, being that these bikes aren't fire breathing tire shredders, I don't feel an expensive O or X-ring chain is needed. I just run a quality standard chain, a D.I.D. at the moment. They can be had for around $40 if you shop around.

Keep in mind that you're only dealing with about a 50HP bike here. Gear it too high and you'll kill the bike's "fun factor". It will be a real dog off the line and lose most of it's "oomph" in the lower gears, the very things that make this bike so enjoyable. Also, the bike won't pull top gear to redline if you go much below a 32 on the back, it just doesn't have the power. Yes, stick with the stock 17T on the front. For the rear, I recommend dropping just one tooth to a 33. I know it doesn't sound like much but it makes a nice difference. It will drop highway cruising RPMs 3 or 400 RPMs, and won't kill the low end performance. I think it's the ideal choice for an 18" rear wheel and this motor's power output, and is actually what Yamaha put on the European models.

I've heard that JT sprockets are pretty good and are what I will most likely get next time I need some. I like steel ones as opposed to aluminum because they last longer. The small weight saving on the aluminum ones is negligible in my opinion, we're not racing here. A better deal can be had off eBay than from Mike's .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Sprocket-Kit-for-YAMAHA-XS650-75-81-JT-Sprockets/322253941749?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

As far as a chain goes, being that these bikes aren't fire breathing tire shredders, I don't feel an expensive O or X-ring chain is needed. I just run a quality standard chain, a D.I.D. at the moment. They can be had for around $40 if you shop around.

Thanks JimD54 / 5twins I'll go with the JT 17t 33t combo I was getting anal about using Suntsar only I can now get off the anal wagon and get some sprockets
For now I'm just a parts replacer but with your guys help and advice I'll do more
Hell I had the clutch basket off several times trying to fix the elec start but gave up because the fix never lasted even with new parts But now I wont be afraid of putting in new clutch plates if need be (It's a start)

I think most people here go with a 32 or 33 for highway riding. I'm only 'bout 160 soakin' wet, so I put a 31 on mine.... but I ain't got it on the road yet. :rolleyes:
Jim where did you get the 32t sprocket Mikes ?

The wishbone shaped drag clip on the #4 starter gear needs to be re-squeezed tighter. Even new ones usually need this. Here's the pertinent info .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

Yes, most all of these need some T.L.C. and parts replacing by now but as you get more into the site here, you'll find many little easy, low cost mods and upgrades you can do to make this an even better bike. Sure, it will cost you a few dollars but it's nothing compared to what many other bikes cost to fix up. That's one of the things I like about this bike. It can be owned, renovated, and ridden for not a whole lot of money, and once fixed up, it's a very nice machine. I like mine so much I recently bought another, and I will slowly be applying most all of the "fixes" and upgrades to it that I did to my 1st one.

I have a 75 xs 650 that the sprockets are getting worn out 17t front 34t rear (stock)
I tried ordering Sunstar sprockets but the only had the stock sizes and "Maybe" they could get me a 33t for the rear
I really want to keep the 17t on the front JT sprockets??

Hi Grey,
you are kinda stuck with a 17T front (18T only fits with standard chain & the rubber cut off the inner chainguard &16T has no real advantage)
I run a 33T rear running solo or a 36T rear pulling a sidecar. I'd recommend a 33T rear for most riders, like they all said, you only got 50HP.
What's REALLY important for longevity's sake is to replace the chain & both sprockets as a set so they all wear in together.
Up to you but I'd say a sealed (O-ring or X-ring) chain is well worth the extra cost and an automatic chain oiler lets a chain live 5 times longer.

The wishbone shaped drag clip on the #4 starter gear needs to be re-squeezed tighter. Even new ones usually need this. Here's the pertinent info .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

Yes, most all of these need some T.L.C. and parts replacing by now but as you get more into the site here, you'll find many little easy, low cost mods and upgrades you can do to make this an even better bike. Sure, it will cost you a few dollars but it's nothing compared to what many other bikes cost to fix up. That's one of the things I like about this bike. It can be owned, renovated, and ridden for not a whole lot of money, and once fixed up, it's a very nice machine. I like mine so much I recently bought another, and I will slowly be applying most all of the "fixes" and upgrades to it that I did to my 1st one.
I did that but it never worked for long I put it in the vice on the gear etc I swear that weak ass spring behind the gear could be a little tougher But I may try it again since I know how to tear that much apart without much fear
Thanks

The wishbone drag clip was changed to a heavier one on the 1976 models. Your '75 may have the original skinny wire clip and so squeezing it tighter may not help for very long.

The wishbone drag clip was changed to a heavier one on the 1976 models. Your '75 may have the original skinny wire clip and so squeezing it tighter may not help for very long.
Yeah I did make sure I ordered the wishbone clip specifically for a 1975 so that's probably the problem
I take it if I get the thicker clip I would move the position out of the groove? I also used the old gear which had quite a bit of wear but according to the thread that shouldn't matter it looked no worse than the posted photo
Also the area Yamaha mechanic said it needed to be in the groove but if is a thicker clip move it out correct

The newer heavy drag clip may not fit into the groove on an older gear. Here's the tech update and notice how it says the new parts should be used as a set .....

RriZnP9.jpg

So that means you may need the newer gear and clip.

I probably should go that route with both Done right done once

Back