Best paint stripper

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
For a winter project I plan to polish the rear set mounts on my XS. The PO made the mounts and milled a recess in each piece and painted the recesses black. I’d like to remove the black and polish everything. I assume the paint is just an enamel. What’s the best paint stripper that won’t affect the aluminum? I looked for aircraft paint stripper and it’s tough to find in small qtys at a decent price. I’ll list pics of the pieces later today.

Here‘s the mounts on the bike:

IMG_0451.jpeg

I think most stripper are based on various combinations or the same chemicals. Consumer satisfaction is how fast it works. Buy the cheapest, smallest qty, wear gloves and eye protection.

As of a couple of years ago, Aircrafts Spruce still sold stripper with Methylene Chloride by the quart and gallon for a reasonable price. I just looked and sadly, no longer. Just the same useless stuff everybody else sells. I thought about buying some but didn't need it at the time. Oh well...

I tried solvents today and although they seemed to soften the finish, I was too impatient to wait. I got my die grinder out and slapped on a Roloc disc snd paint is gone. I‘ll try to polish one while the weather is still cooperating since this dirty operation is best as an outdoor activity. The finished result of the first piece will determine how I will do the other 3 pieces. I’ll post pics later.

Well I had a go at my brackets today. Last night I spent an hour or more trying to sand out scratches and machining marks from one piece. Tried manually polishing that one and results weren‘t overload impressive. I pulled out my buffing motor and went at it with black compound on a sisal wheel, then brown and white compound on a sewn cotton wheel. Shined things up but at close inspection all flaws can be easily seen. Because of the location of these brackets I decided I could live with shined up scratches and machining marks. Didn’t seem like it would be worth the effort to sand them out. Here’s what I ended up with. They actually look better in real life. The camera accentuates the flaws in the pieces.

IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2678.jpeg
IMG_2683.jpeg
IMG_2694.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg

If you repaint those inset areas with black or a medium grey the pieces will will blend into the background. The raised sections will look purposeful and "finished". As an experiment, lay out some masking tape, paint it, cut it to fit the recesses and loosely assemble the bits. You will like or not like the results. Your call.

The plates are stacked on each other (two per side) then the rear sets are bolted to the outer plate. That said, 50% of the lower plate is covered up then the rear sets covet up some of the outer plate. I can try the tape idea. Thx.

The plates are stacked on each other (two per side) then the rear sets are bolted to the outer plate. That said, 50% of the lower plate is covered up then the rear sets covet up some of the outer plate. I can try the tape idea. Thx.
Where did they come from? Those look like they move the pegs back about 6", right where they should be.

Well I had a go at my brackets today. Last night I spent an hour or more trying to sand out scratches and machining marks from one piece. Tried manually polishing that one and results weren‘t overload impressive. I pulled out my buffing motor and went at it with black compound on a sisal wheel, then brown and white compound on a sewn cotton wheel. Shined things up but at close inspection all flaws can be easily seen. Because of the location of these brackets I decided I could live with shined up scratches and machining marks. Didn’t seem like it would be worth the effort to sand them out. Here’s what I ended up with. They actually look better in real life. The camera accentuates the flaws in the pieces.

View attachment 253444
Like the buffer!👍

Where did they come from? Those look like they move the pegs back about 6", right where they should be.
The PO made them. The rear sets are Raask. I’ll show a pic of the backs of the plate. He did so fancy work on the mill to them fit nicely.
They look pretty darned great to me...hard to get any better, really.
Thanks, they look great from 5ft away, but the critical eye will see machining marks and other scratches. I need to keep in mind thus isn’t a show bike do I think they will be good enough. The recessed areas were in filled with paint before. Might try @Kevin Werner ’s suggestion before slapping them back on.

The PO made them. The rear sets are Raask. I’ll show a pic of the backs of the plate. He did so fancy work on the mill to them fit nicely.

Thanks, they look great from 5ft away, but the critical eye will see machining marks and other scratches. I need to keep in mind thus isn’t a show bike do I think they will be good enough. The recessed areas were in filled with paint before. Might try @Kevin Werner ’s suggestion before slapping them back on.
Find a color (not red) that matches the side cover above it. The eye will be drawn to the color mass. By all means dress up the exposed alloy raised sections but know you shoe, boot or flip-flop will scuff a shiny alloy surface. Alloy polish is good 2 or 3 times a year for dress up but after every ride is a vanity. That is to say, too shiny makes more work and less riding. My frame of mind anyway.

Last edited:
Back