best paint/technique to use for clear coat touch ups?

With the information about the clear metallic blend I took a closer look at what I’m working with. I really don’t want to ruin the stock paint but I need to do something to protect it from potential gas spillage, scratching, ect. It actually looks really good from the stripe down, it’s just that top area.View attachment 240526View attachment 240527
I have a tank or two with similar clear condition your showing.I’m away from shop another week but would gladly try a process of removing clear as close as I can get and possibly advise better when I return. I’m happy to trial and error on mine no prob.

I have a tank or two with similar clear condition your showing.I’m away from shop another week but would gladly try a process of removing clear as close as I can get and possibly advise better when I return. I’m happy to trial and error on mine no prob.
May I respectfully add;I’d be very very cautious adding any particals of metallics to any clear beyond exact manufacturer data and codes.Many of you are familiar,I’m not.Admitting I’m a dinosaur with so many of the new and easy painting products,I do know it’s a train wreck if you mess up.Just sayin’.

May I respectfully add;I’d be very very cautious adding any particals of metallics to any clear beyond exact manufacturer data and codes.Many of you are familiar,I’m not.Admitting I’m a dinosaur with so many of the new and easy painting products,I do know it’s a train wreck if you mess up.Just sayin’.
That's why I do spray out cards and compare, even if I'm not experimenting. Some formulas do not match even in factory pack paints. How does the clear look on top of the tank if you wet it?

That's why I do spray out cards and compare, even if I'm not experimenting. Some formulas do not match even in factory pack paints. How does the clear look on top of the tank if you wet it?
Back in the day, I shot a lot of Imron. I had a not quite as bad clear tank and for a quick test that had been on my mind,I 400’ a bit and shot a quick dry coat and then a full coat to see if it would lift, it didn’t.And yep,rough underneath as expected.So many variables as you know.Many years have passed.

It appears there are areas where it actually peeled away, however I am no expert and could be wrong but it looks like it’s down to paint. FB36B6EE-BFA1-44B5-ABB4-D321D315BDB9.jpeg

I’ll sure sand one of mine for you a ways and see if you want to wait till I return.
I appreciate that but I have a feeling I’m going to end up with glossy black lol. No matter what I am going to do something so I may as well experiment on the side covers. They need a little work as well and would definitely be more inconspicuous!

I spent hours with a box of razor blades shaving and scraping what I could remove. Once the blade wouldn’t bite into CC anymore I gave it a wet sand and shot it and the side covers today. It’s not perfect but it looks a heck of a lot better. Side covers came out amazing!IMG_2560.jpegIMG_2561.jpegIMG_2562.jpegIMG_2563.jpeg

Back