Best stock carbs?

Thanks 5twins

The best stock carb if one can see past the black plastic tops is the PVK stock to the EX 500 and GPZ. I liked the BS 34 carbs and they worked really well once I got them sorted not an easy task. Factory float levels settings wouldn't work correctly trial and error after that. Yamaha changed the carb design, needles jets several times trying to get them to work better on the 650 motor. The PVK carbs are a better design. The light weight flat-slide is vacuum actuated and gives you instant throttle response I have found. The carbs have vacuum ports for tuning. The jetting and needle selection given by mrriggs in the thread works well with 650 and 750CC modified and stock motors. mrriggs is getting 54 miles per gallon not bad I would say and better performance to go along with it. Buying another set of old 30 something year old with old rubber parts and wear when newer unused carbs are available makes no sense to me. :cheers:

Yea makes total sense rather than go BS34 to jump straight to the GPZ/Ex carbs, I take it 54mpg is US mpg? Which makes it around 65mpg in the UK, the GPZ 500 usually gets around 60mpg UK so that seems really good on an older XS.

I suppose those black tops can be painted bright chrome silver I reckon I'd be happy with that.

I must be alone in thinking that the black tops on the CVKs look really sharp. I have as much anti-plastic prejudice as the next guy, but for some reason those plastic tops work for me.

It doesn't matter anyway. They could be hot pink with tassels and I'd still run them. Never once have I noticed the carb tops while riding. I do, however, notice the brilliant power delivery every time I touch the throttle.

The CVKs are fantastic carburetors when it comes to performance and economy. They are not pretty and they are not stock to an XS650. In my opinion, the carbs that did come stock weren't that good looking either (especially the cheesy chrome top BS34s). The CVKs look right at home on the XS650, not many would know that they are not stock. More importantly, they work better than the stock carbs. My bike came with BS38s. I messed with them for a long time and never got them working as well as these CVKs.

mrriggs you are not alone I like the black tops. The carbs look great on the motor and match my black bike. What Yamaha couldn't do with the bs carbs was the total package. Just a compromise my opinion Based on 5twins knowledge of the carbs. I couldn't believe what the carb change could do. Total transformation on my bike almost like the carbs had mind of there own ninja. :D the exhaust somewhat sportbike Yoshi deeptone. The 1/4 turn throttle will put you out front the, carb linkage better ratio. Pays to think out of the box. :thumbsup:

I was hoping you would and find out for yourself how great they work. Still some nice sets on ebay and good prices. I just bought another set on ebay 2006 EX 500 $120.00 suppose to arrive tomorrow. I don't need them right away but not taking any chances that prices won't skyrocket and supplies dwindle. You might want to add another chapter to the carb guide. Once you try them I doubt you won't Keep them and sell your bs carbs or shelf them. :thumbsup:

It's very possible you could find an alloy replacement top to swap on. I had little trouble finding them for the BS34s to replace those cheesy tin tops.

34AlloyTops.jpg

The Triumph Bonneville had CVKs with chrome tops. Those were 36mm carbs so I don't know if they would fit or not. If so, there are a bunch of aftermarket tops available.

Back