bike boggs, dies, backfires, then runs fine PLEASE HELP!

nic81xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
any help on this matter would be great. i have an 81 xs with cdi ignition. im running 142 main jets and #50 pilots. it has pods and open exhaust. mix srcrews are at 1.5 turns. the bike ran great one day and the next day it would go about a mile then bogg down and cut off. 1 to 5 kicks and it will start right back up and go another mile or so and then same problem over and over again. sometimes it boggs down then backfires and immediately starts to run again. is this a part failure or ignition problem? fuel mix? doesn't seem to be running rich or lean. plugs are light brown in color not wet or ashy. Please help im running out of ideas. Thanks!

Sounds like a tci problem. When mine went bad it would quit running or bog like you call it no backfire though. Would start and run fine longer than a mile I replaced with pamco. I would check out the system some have repaired it by replacing transistors. Thats my guess. check for bad conections in the wires ect.

The 80 to 83 years have had problems with the small magnet that's embedded in the alternator rotor. That is the magnet that triggers the TCI ignition. As the magnet aged and got weaker, strange things happen to the engine operation.

Do a "Search" here, because there are more than a few threads on that topic.

great, thanks for the info. is there a way to test the magnet in the rotor? im assuming it is all one piece. i did have an oil leak from the neutral switch going into that side of the case could this foul out my magnet in rotor?

Check the connections up by the coil, also. a can of radio-shack contact cleaner is your friend here (and everywhere else on the wiring harness). Mine gave me all kinds of fits last weekend until I found the red/white coil wire loose and fixed it.

ok, so i bought a new rotor and key switch which needed to be replaced but i am still having the same problem. i have noticed that it runs fine the first time it is cranked after sitting all night. if i turn it off and let it sit even as short as 15min. it will crank up and run for about a mile, then dies out. two or three kick starts and the same thing over and over again. any more ideas? starting to think its flooding after it gets warm but not sure. any ideas?

Back