Bike dies while riding.

Nwcali01

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So about 6 months ago, my bike started dying at stops. I did some research and found out it was my rectifier and changed it out. It lasted about mmm 5 months down the road and worked fine. About a month ago same thing...dying at stops. I read a thread about rectifiers going bad due to being near heat and bad spots on bikes which mine was behind the motor causing it to overheat. I relocated it to the front guard of the bike and it was running fine on the test ride. I take it out on a second ride and it dies completely again on side of road. The battery is completely fine and bike charges when on. Any thoughts? I'm scratching my head at this point. I do have a PMA setup on the bike too with a battery.

Check electrical, make sure there arent any shorts. I would also change the jetting and adjust the fuel/mixture screw.

Found it. This is like the 3rd time it's happened but the red, black and green wires to the PMA ignition plate sometimes break off maybe due to vibration and the heat? Re-soldered and started right up. Damn these bikes sometimes!!!

Found it. This is like the 3rd time it's happened but the red, black and green wires to the PMA ignition plate sometimes break off maybe due to vibration and the heat? Re-soldered and started right up. Damn these bikes sometimes!!!

Yeah, vibration is an issue bigtime. I have a 77 yamaha xs650 and it kept cutting off at the worst and most random times. Turns out the main fuse kept shaking loose from the fuse housing. Im thankful it was a simple fix!

Dang thats some rattling. Yeah since the motors don't have rubber mounts I can see why it's an issue sometimes tho.

Do you mean its the 3rd time the bike has quit while out on the road, or its the 3rd time the PMA/ignition wires have broken off? Over what period of time has the 3 failures occurred? Perhaps the wires are not secured properly, which allows them to move about. If you post a picture of the area where these wires are failing, it might be helpful to others that have a similar arrangement.

Back