Bike dies without the choke??

PRoberts317

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1983 XS650 Heritage Special: stock everything except K&N pod filters replacing the air box... pretty standard.

Bike was starting to "miss" or feel like it had a rev-limiter at about 3500-4000rmp, especially in 1st and 2nd gear... rode OK (better anyway) at night, but started missing a little worse during the day. I'm thinking it has to do with air temp. and maybe I need to adjust my mixture screws.

I screw em in, screw em out... no change... screw em in so far that i foul my plugs with too much gas (I think). So I change the plugs.

I pull the carbs; float bowls are looking clean. I pull the mixture screws and clean the passage they rest in; clean. Screw them in, then pull them out 3 turns. Fires right up (with the choke on) dies when I pull the throttle. Fire it up again, let it run for a while (choke on) dies when I release choke or pull the gas.

Same situation at 2.5 turns out and 2 turns out.

This has to be something obvious, guesses gentlemen and ladies???

My guess would be plugged pilot jets or circuit. When you pulled the mix screws and cleaned the hole, maybe you forced gunk back into the pilot circuit.

Back