bike hangs up in high gear

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i think i may have fucked something up after doing my sprocket swap...

symptoms:

in first if i lay on the throttle the breaks up REAL bad.. but it's not a typical carb problem, it's like something is making contact and slowing the bike not enough to lock up the tires but enough to really make me nervous.

when i ride normal it's fine and nothing happens. but as soon as i hit the throttle (i've experienced it in second gear as well, but typically only in first) she starts getting hung up by something and i don't know what. it only happens for a split second, then releases, then happens again for another split second, then then releases, etc.

i had no idea what it was until i was coasting and started hearing a high-pitch whine coming from the rear wheel. as i slowed down, the whine got lower and from a slight roll it was still whining consistently.

but here's the funny part - when i tapped the rear break, everything straightened out and the sound stopped.

this process repeats itself. high rpm > in throttle > hang up > noise from rear > tap rear > noise stops > etc.

anyone have any idea? and like i mentioned, keep in mind i did a rear sprocket swap last month. but the bike has been running fine since.

Rear brake shoes not releasing from the drum? Sounds like a spring is worn out or the cam lever (inside the drum) is not in the right position. Also, the shoes are held in with a washer and a cotter pin.. make sure its all good.

i've no idea. i'll go over everything tomorrow with a fine tooth comb. i've never had the drum off, so i don't think i could have screwed any of it off. but i disassembled the assembly, the torque arm etc.

When you say "sprocket swap" I assume you replaced the front and rear sprockets and chain.
When you reinstall the rear wheel, get the axle a bit more than finger tight, adjust the chain for about 3/4 inch freeplay in it's tightest position with you sitting on the bike. Now before you do the final tightening of the rear axle have a buddy step on the rear brake pedal while you tighten the axle. When the pedal is held down the pads push out against the drum and center the brake plate in the drum. Doing this keeps the pads from dragging and lets both pads share equally in the braking.
You may have the chain to tight or to loose, or the wheel not straight in the swingarm. These things can make funny noises.
Leo

Back