Bike is too loud.

connor1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
See pic for what I am working with. Bike is crazy loud, I have removed the baffles, and wanted to get some input from the "been there, done that crowd". What can I do to these baffles to quiet it down? Do I reduce the size of the "upstream" side of the baffle to get more volume through the perforated sheet metal tube? Any other ideas? How may changes to the baffles affect jetting?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 238
A cocktail shaker is pretty much loud. I'd advise hunting for a different exhausted system. You'll spend untold hours trying to quiet those, and if you ever get anywhere useful with that, you'll probably spend that much time again trying to get it to run right.
$0.02

You can buy a glass kit at the auto parts store to wrap those baffles with fiberglass, which will change the tone a good bit, but not necessarily make them quieter. In the exhaust section of your local car parts store they usually have adapters that are made to step up or step down the diameter of an exhaust pipe. Find a size that will nest into the front of your baffle, and weld a strip across the center of the hole that closes about half of it. Repeat for both sides. Not scientific, but will quiet the exhaust a bit. If they are not wrapped with fiberglass, the restrictor will not work as well. The other way is to buy generic mufflers from JC Whitney or similar that do not have a removable baffle. They are usually not dead quiet, but are much more so than the typical can with a removable baffle. I'm sure others will chime in with thier advice.

Hi yep, exhaust packing is a good option for you. Relatively cheap and easy to install. I built a Caterham kit car last year and built my exhaust for that using fibre glass packing.

I wrapped my baffles with exhaust packing. What I pulled out of the original packings looked like home insulation! The new stuff was a mat wrap with banding straps. It quieted the exhaust down quite a bit.

You can use stainless steel wire (but does not have to be) to keep the wraping tight. The tighter it is, the better it works and longer it lasts.

You've chosen about the worst excuse for a muffler on the planet. It's not much better than straight pipes. To work and work well, a muffler needs volume. Stuff anything and as much of it as you like into that little tin can, it won't help. The muffler itself needs to be bigger. Twins run best with a long tapered megaphone type muffler. About the best available now is Mike's Commando muffler. If someone in China would actually learn a little about bikes and start making a true Conti replica, that would change. They would literally sell boat-loads of them because that was just about the finest muffler ever made. It had the big 3 - looks, sound, and performance.

I use the Mike's Commando Style and it works well and sounds great!
Priced quite reasonably.

Back