Bike start?

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finished my build and it's all about the tweaking now. One of the things that is kinda bugging me is that when the bike has stood for a bit (1 night) it usually takes 3 goes on the electric start to get it started. Once started she's fine. The carbs have been cleaned, new main jets.

What I am wondering is whether it takes some time for the external fuel filters to fill after I opened the taps and that that is what causes the delay in starting?

Your insight would be appreciated!

Hi voelser,
mine too and it don't have external fuel filters.
I reckon it's the e-starter sucking up so much juice on cold mornings that there's not enough Voltage to work the ignition until the oil's been stirred up a little.
That and those fancy modern carbs ain't got ticklers like on my BSA's old Amal.

With everything being correct, I found this to be the way to go on my two......
Petcock on
Choke on
Cycle the motor with the kick starter one or two times
Key on
Kick and she fires up. Every time. Did I say every time? Every time.
Electric foot is for the rare stall out moments at a traffic light.

I'm liking to think that cycling the motor might just pull some fuel into the system.......

Last edited:
I'm liking to think that cycling the motor might just pull some fuel into the system.......

Bringo.

At least that's what I felt with my first XS. It was a Pamco PMA running a capacitor and would usually fire right up first kick but after sitting for 2-3 days it would take 2-3 kicks to cycle some fuel in (I'd watch it move through the lines)

Ok, so whether i kick it or use the electric start (i lack the kickstarting talent) its about getting some oil cycled and fuel into the engine. And its just the way it is then..

Ok, so whether i kick it or use the electric start (i lack the kickstarting talent) its about getting some oil cycled and fuel into the engine. And its just the way it is then..

No, that's not the way it is. My bike can sit for a week, and it still starts instantly using the electric starter motor. You don't have to cycle anything. Your float bowl is full of gasoline when the bike is shut off. That same amount of fuel is still there a week later, and maybe as much as 2 weeks later. Yes, a small amount may evaporate, but not enough to prevent starting the engine.

I suspect your mixture is not rich enough.................meaning the choke is not supplying enough extra fuel. You say you cleaned the carbs, but did you confirm that the small orifice (jet) in the bottom of the float bowl is fully clear? Shine a light into one side and you should see the light on the other side.

Attachments

• Float Bowl R1.JPG
    Float Bowl R1.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 208
Lol...fair enough question....but yes I am

I know... extremely obvious, but sometimes its those basic things that could be the big "ah ha" moments.

I had a weak starter motor that made starting tricky...but with a kick, it would start first time. Not saying yours is bad, but you may want to try kicking it (To get some practice if nothing else)? Once you have it down...If you can get it to kick first/second time, then I'd look to your starter...if it takes more kicks than that...then I'd look towards a fuel mix issue...

I've also had a heck of time starting my bike when it's low on gas (And I forget to switch to reserve)...ha ha!

A mate who can kick a bike has tried and he also needs 2 to 3 goes. I have overhauled the starter with brandnew brushes. My money is on the choke pilot holes

No, that's not the way it is. My bike can sit for a week, and it still starts instantly using the electric starter motor. You don't have to cycle anything. Your float bowl is full of gasoline when the bike is shut off. That same amount of fuel is still there a week later, and maybe as much as 2 weeks later. Yes, a small amount may evaporate, but not enough to prevent starting the engine.

I suspect your mixture is not rich enough.................meaning the choke is not supplying enough extra fuel. You say you cleaned the carbs, but did you confirm that the small orifice (jet) in the bottom of the float bowl is fully clear? Shine a light into one side and you should see the light on the other side.

Right. Spent some time over the weekend and cleaned and experimented with the carbs a bit. One 'choke jet' was clear and one was partially blocked. So cleaned those out. After that it seems to start easier. Even wanted to start on the first go, definitely on the second.

As I am still experimenting with the carb settings (I have pod filters and open exhausts on the bike) and it is still not running 100% right I also tested needle positions. Middle (3rd from top) was no good at all, second from top better, top (so dropped all the way) seems to be best. So will test on that for a bit right now. All jets bar the main jet (now 135) stock at the moment...

But thanks for the help so far guys!

Hi Voelser, the combination of pods and open pipes does not help here CV carbs will always have a compromised performance with pods, but on the whole a couple of kicks on the kicker is about right, I can leave my bike a couple of weeks and it takes a couple of seconds on the electric or a couple of prods on the kicker to fire her up, build up your technique on the kicker, you will get the odd kickback if you take your eye off the ball, also that rubbish they call petrol here in the UK is another factor where the old bikes are concerned, i'm in Rochester so I am just down the road from you, and we don't need a lot of choke at the moment.

Back