Bike turns off at random times

what_accent

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone my bikes been down for about a month and i want to get her running again if you can help i would appreciate it.

Here what i have done to the bike :
Clean the tank - free of rust

Got new gaskets to where the carb meets the filter and cylinder

Got new battery

Cleaned out carbs

My problem with the bike is its running fine then the rpms start going up by itself. I thought it was a leak in the carbs so i cleaned them out and replacedd the gaskets but it keeps doing it. Another problem im having is its running fine then it ramdomly dies it could be running for an hour fine then shuts off or just running for 10 minutes and dies. My buddy says its the carbs but i have taken them out and completly clean them and made sure nothing was clogged so i dont know what else to look for.

You have to take the carbs off and set the tang correctly. Bs38 which I assume you have are 24 +/- 1. This video will help.

Random engine stopping sounds to me like electrical problems. I have to ask if your bike still has those stock 4 position fuse holders with the glass fuses? If you have those, then they must be replaced, with new automotive blade type fuse holders as a first step.

If you already have newer type fuse holders, you need to carefully check the electrical path from the battery.......main fuse..........ignition switch...........kill switch...........to the ignition coil etc. It may be a loose or poor connection in that path.

I experienced the engine shutting on and off thing some time back and it was just as if the ignition was being shut off then turned back on again which turned out it was. The problem in my case was a bad ignition switch plug connection in the headlight bucket. Turned out the lock tab broke off and allowed the connector to slip out enough to cause this headache without just blacking out altogether. You might want to take a look in there if your symptoms are the same.

I had a badly corroded ignition switch on a 73 took it apart cleaned everything and reassembled, good as new no more on again off again.
revving #1; carb synch it's futsy and easily goes out on the early 2 cable carbs. Also intake leaks, check advance springs, advance shaft; remove, clean, buff, use light grease and reinstall. Do the hot water dip test on the floats looking for leaks.

This happened to me. Riding along then all of a sudden bike died but would fire right back up. as mentioned above, it was the fuse box for me. definitely look there.

Soo my bike still has the old school fuses which i guess im going to have to change to modern ones but question how many fuses are there supposed to be i could only find one, im sure there is more.

How many fuses you have would depend on which model you have. The '79 and older Standard models have only one fuse, a 20 amp main fuse. It would be under the left or right side cover depending on the year. The '78 and newer Special models got an actual fuse box mounted on top of the battery. It held 4 fuses, a main 20 amp and 3 lesser 10 amp for the various circuits (lights, ignition, etc.).

Back