Bike was running great. Then "Old Man Winter"

YamahaDaps

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a number of Yamahas. The only one I let sit out - covered, is the Maroon 77 XS650 which my inlaws gave me a month ago.

Yesterday, after it sat out for 10 days in below freezing temps (lead acid battery) , i put the battery back in (I had taken the battery out when it got cold and brought the battery in the house)

As I put the battery back in, the ring terminal on the battery wire from the bike, broke off. I did a quick fix, using another ring terminal and 10 gauge wire (probably a mistake since the wire to the starter is heavier gauge. While I was fixing it, the petcock was on "reserve" for about 40 min as I did a few other things in the house.

Bike tried to start but would not turn over. I think, during the process of trying to start it, I flooded the carbs. So I changed the spark plugs. It ran great for about 15 min. Hopped on the bike to take off, and it shut off. Tried to kick it. nothing. When I try to use the electric start it engages but makes this awful clacking noise if I try too long.

Fast forward to today:

Took off the 10 gauge quick fix wire and crimped the old wire into a ring terminal. Job done

Charged the battery on a tender last night. Its shows 13v. This morning I put it on the bike, with new spark plugs, and after a few kicks it started right up.

I checked the voltage at the battery while the bike was running and it was 14.4v

Issues:
I noticed the neutral light no longer comes on, but thats ok.
The brake light no longer comes on.
The running light does, but not the brake light, though I changed the bulb.

Went for a ride and stopped for a minute. Started up OK but the starter made that weird AWFUL "trying" noise again.

Got back home, and with the bike idling, turned on the headlight. The bike died immediately.

What is this?

Something is shorted out, a bare wire is touching the frame and that makes the fuse burn. Likely in the light circuit

Back