Bike won't start

Mercenary152

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Recently bought a 1980 xs650 ...it won't start up. The guy who sold it to me , told me that it only needed a carb cleaning ...i clean the carburetor , but nothing... The bike wants to start but dies.... I live in the Bronx .... I was wondering how much is to service and if ya had any idea for me.. I'm trying to change this bike to bobber. Thank you Oscar.

And if any mechanic well like to give a hand ... Will pay .. Just email me your rates @

Oscar.mercedes@me.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 147
Welcome to the forum Oscar.
When dealing with these carbs you have to make sure every passage is clear.
It sometimes takes going over and through them several times.
If you haven't read the carb guide yet it helps.
Also if you can post some pictures it helps us "see", sometimes things are spotted and can be pointed out as being wrong.
It also helps if you know what size or model number the parts are.
In the carb guide it will give you the correct stock configuration.
It could be someone already "fixed" it with an incorrect part.

That bike's in rough shape. I'd say it needs a lot more than just a carb cleaning. I hope you're rich because if you take it somewhere, it could end up costing several grand - yes, it's in that bad a shape. You can't believe what P.O.s tell you. If he told what all was really wrong with it, you never would have bought it, lol.

Oscar, I think this is a project that you should bail out on. From your description of things* your learning curve is going to be prohibitively steep and the cost/benefit ratio just is not there for a bike in this condition. You will be MUCH better off selling it for whatever you can get and buying a running motorcycle.

*example: you say it tries to start then dies and you also say that it does not turn over - these are mutually exclusive things.

Dont give up. you need 3 things to make an engine run. Fuel Spark and AIR. Clean your tank clean your carbs and charge your battery to start with. Get a service manual and start reading.

OK, good luck.

The very first thing that you need to do is to get a shop manual. There should be a free one for your bike at http://www.biker.net/

BTW
The three components of any gasolene motor making power are
1. Compression (which translates into the motor being basically sound)
2. Ignition
a. sufficient spark
b. at the right time
3. Correct fuel-air mix

And that is the order that you should follow when try to get one running.

it isn't the photo that led me to that opinion, it's the whole picture. This fellow is not in the least knowledgable and cannot describe let alone remedy the condition of this machine.

The only thing we know for sure is that it doesn't run. It's a TCI bike and that means it either needs a new ignition now or will soon (I very much suspect it is the root of his current problem) . The stator/rotor/regulator are either toast or soon will be. Who knows about the regulare wear and tear items like battery, chain, sprockets, filters, tires. And who knows what condition the motor is in.

There's too many "who knows" in this deal and this guy is probably going to have to pay somebody to sort it all out. And he wants to bob it.

do the math.

He's in too deep already and will take a haircut, but that's better than a lobotomy.

I stand by my advice: find a runner.

If someone with a bit of knowledge picked up that bike for 300 or less (assuming the motor is not locked up) it would be a start on a project. If.

no way, if you want to learn then learn. thats what the forum is for thats why he's here.

its not turning over? dead battery? bad relay? can you kick it over? the motor turns right?

no way, if you want to learn then learn. thats what the forum is for thats why he's here.

its not turning over? dead battery? bad relay? can you kick it over? the motor turns right?

You asked me for the basis of my opinion and I told you. You have another opinion and are welcome to it. I don't agree that the only reason to come to his board is to learn how to work on an XS650. It's a place to get the opinions of folks who have some experience with this motorcycle.

So, now he has two such opinions.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck with his project.

And we are giving our opinions. What's the big idea? I don't think you should tell someone in a position to learn and save some cash no. Let him tell himself no. He can probably do that on his own.

And we are giving our opinions. What's the big idea? I don't think you should tell someone in a position to learn and save s cash no. Let him tell himself no. He can probably do that on his own.

Well, Jake looks like we disagree again.

I'm not "telling" this guy anything - I have no authority over him and don't seek any.
I've done my best to help him make an informed decision he is certainly free to ignore me.

And just as you are free to express your opinion I am free to express mine. I don't understand why that upsets you.

As I see it, if he continues down the road he is on he will probably bail out anyway once reality overcomes wishfull thinking. There are far more projects started than finished you know. The best case scenerio is that he will end up with a year or two and maybe 3 grand or more invested in something worth half that.

If he wants to get some skills he'd be better off spending some of the money he'll burn here taking a M/C mechanics class.

But, it is his money, his time, and his dream - so I wish him well. I started him off right by hooking him up with a free manual.

Woah who said I was upset? Can't read into text man. You can't see body langue or hear my tone. And you don't need school to learn. Just drive and a good head. It may take longer depending...

Woah who said I was upset? Can't read into text man. You can't see body langue or hear my tone. And you don't need school to learn. Just drive and a good head. It may take longer depending...

ok, I'll rephase.
"I don't understand why this is an issue with you."

I'm sure we both wish this fellow (and one another) the very best motorcycling experience.

no way, if you want to learn then learn. thats what the forum is for thats why he's here. thats all i said then you stepped in.

no issue, i said dont give up then you got offended and confused and now a dead horse is getting the shit kicked out of it. lets just drop it. :thumbsup:

Back