Bleeding brakes (again)

rude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just changed out both front calipers on my 78 for new Mikesxs units, this meant a night of bleeding the brakes, prior to this I was appreciative of having littlebills "how to" post to study as I always seem to spend a lot of time pumping the lever before getting pressure up, littlebills suggested method of
1) pulling the brake lever in. 2) opening the bleeding nipple and pumping the lever. 3) retightening the nipple (just snug). 4) Releasing the lever.
Helped to get the fluid into the calipers
but
I was always taught this method
1) pump the lever (peddle in a tin top) slowly and avoid bottoming the lever out (short slow strokes) 2) hold the lever in/ release and close the bleed nipple, lever bottoms, observe fluid and air exiting in the bleeder tube. the action of the lever forces the fluid and air out
Repeat until air is gone and you have good (not spongy) lever action

"If" I pumped the lever fluid just moves back and forth in the tube.....
comments? did I miss the plot?

I'm bleeding again tonight just to be sure (to be sure)

Why two new calipers? bought the thinner drilled discs and could not stop the fluid leaking past the pistons, even though they and the seals seemed in good order (new seals), I can only assume caused by the change of position of the piston due to the narrower discs. Got sick of pulling them apart so went for the "change it all out" option as I wasn't going to compromise with brakes

My tutorial is basically for a stock single disc. You may need to do short sweet strokes, as you were taught, depending on your systems. I've had to do this before. I've also had to do fast short strokes to get the fluid to, forcefully, blow out of the caliper until I was able to build proper pressure. The oil can method is a really easy way to do this as well.

You can also do a finishing bleed this way:

1. Remove the cover on the master cylinder.
2. Remove the caliper.
3. Hold the caliper with the piston facing down.
4. Gently Squeeze the piston into the caliper bore.
5. Operate the brake lever to push the piston back out. Not too far, of course.
6. Repeat 4 and 5 until your arms fall off.

As you do this procedure, you will see air bubbles in the master cylinder reservoir even if you did the more traditional bleeding method for hours. The caliper piston will not blow out when you operate the brake lever. In fact, you can operate it several times for each cycle of the procedure.

You can also do this procedure from time to time without having to open the bleed screw if you suspect some air got into the system, which can happen in a rough ride if you apply the brakes and the tiny hole in the master cylinder reservoir gets unported.

littlebill31,

Be my guest. I've used this method in all my bikes and I have rock solid brake levers in all of them. It gets the last of the tiny air bubbles out of the system.

Back