blue exhaust

vinniethevise

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help guys. i just installed jemco exhaust pipes. the right pipe has turned blue the left not so much. the P.O. installed xs filters. plugs are a little black, idles fine, starts up good, and no back firing. main jet is a 135. what do you guys think?

Balance your carbs for starters.

If you have an infrared pyrometer, measure the header temperatures at the same point from the cylinder head after a ride. Make sure you hold the pyrometer at the same distance away from each pipe as well.

You'll probably find one cylinder running hotter than the other. Could be a couple things, but check for vacuum leaks (after balancing your carbs).

Last edited:
I think we need more info, like what year carb set you're using. The 135 main is stock for the '78-'79 set but larger than stock for any of the other sets. You can't properly re-jet a set of these carbs unless you know what year they are. Re-jetting is based on what was stock in your year carbs, not the year of the motor or bike. The carb sets were changed no fewer than 5 times during the production run. So, if you expect to get any sort of useful jetting advice, you'll need to provide the carb set year. Here are your choices .....

CarbSpecsReducedSize.jpg

I think we need more info, like what year carb set you're using. The 135 main is stock for the '78-'79 set but larger than stock for any of the other sets. You can't properly re-jet a set of these carbs unless you know what year they are. Re-jetting is based on what was stock in your year carbs, not the year of the motor or bike. The carb sets were changed no fewer than 5 times during the production run. So, if you expect to get any sort of useful jetting advice, you'll need to provide the carb set year. Here are your choices .....

CarbSpecsReducedSize.jpg

its a 1979

Balance your carbs for starters.

If you have an infrared pyrometer, measure the header temperatures at the same point from the cylinder head after a ride. Make sure you hold the pyrometer at the same distance away from each pipe as well.

You'll probably find one cylinder running hotter than the other. Could be a couple things, but check for vacuum leaks (after balancing your carbs).

where can i find a step by step post to sync carbs

I thought there might be a link in the Tech section but seems not. Do a search for "carb sync" and/or "bench sync". This topic has been discussed numerous times so I'm sure you'll get lots of hits. Best and most accurate results are obtained using vacuum gauges or a manometer but you can do OK with a simple bench sync. If the carbs are way, way off then a bench sync to get them close followed by a gauge sync to get them perfect is best.

I thought there might be a link in the Tech section but seems not. Do a search for "carb sync" and/or "bench sync". This topic has been discussed numerous times so I'm sure you'll get lots of hits. Best and most accurate results are obtained using vacuum gauges or a manometer but you can do OK with a simple bench sync. If the carbs are way, way off then a bench sync to get them close followed by a gauge sync to get them perfect is best.

Thank you very much for your time. i will check it out today

It's nice if the pipes color the same but aftermarket pipes are single wall and they WILL turn blue near the head. The stock headers are built with an inner and outer pipe so they don't discolor unless they rust through or your mixture is WAY off.

Another thing to check is for a leak-free fit into the head. When I first mounted my aftermarket MAC headpipes, the right one blued more and farther down the pipe than the left. It was a badly leaking mount into the head that caused that. But Gary is correct. Aftermarket single wall chrome headpipes are going to blue some, even if the carbs are jetted correctly. I kinda like the look .....

BluePipes.jpg

Another thing to check is for a leak-free fit into the head. When I first mounted my aftermarket MAC headpipes, the right one blued more and farther down the pipe than the left. It was a badly leaking mount into the head that caused that. But Gary is correct. Aftermarket single wall chrome headpipes are going to blue some, even if the carbs are jetted correctly. I kinda like the look .....

BluePipes.jpg

The exhaust pipes were a little lose at the head. Thanks guys

you have to use a image hosting site. I use fotki. U just upload on there, and then make a copy, then post it here.

make an album, download you pics to that, open pic, then click on the yellow Square icon and post your pic URL and Voila.

Seen a lot of hosted pics deleted when the host has stopped using the member for whatever reason.

Back