BMW dealership crashes owners car after brakes and oil change

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
:yikes::wtf::banghead::doh:
Saw this on another forum and thought i would share...

An M5Board forum member took his 2007 BMW M5 to the dealer for brakes and fresh oil. Their 20-year-old tech crashed it during a test drive. The dealership's offering him $2500 in parts. The problem? There's $30,000 in damage.

It's a topic of heated discussion over at M5Board, racking up over 108,000 page views so far and causing a bluster within the M5 community about the whole issue of service and owners rights. There are over 38 pages of commentary but we'll do you the favor of breaking it down to the key details.

500x_dealer_crashed_m5.jpg

340x_busted_strut.jpg

link to thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...dealership-rags-my-car-wrecks-test-drive.html:yikes::yikes:

That's AWESOME!!!

I bet next time he's a little more proactive about his car care... I would think a lawsuit would easily go in his favor, as I'm sure he didn't sign a release for them to take the car off the premises and there was absolutely no need for a "test drive". What was he doing, making sure the oil was thoroughly distributed?

haha Im skimming the thread on the M5 board and the owner of the car does have a lawyer. Im just doing my part to try and spread the word so the guy can get a new car! who knows if that will happen but hey its worth a shot. Trying to keep my karma up :D

Well, ultimately that's what should happen. A car is never the same after a collision, not even accounting for the total decrease in monetary value, most collisions, especially involving the front end, create all sorts of problems/weaknesses that may not be immediately apparent.

LOL I just skimmed through the original thread, and the link he provided HERE. That car was completely totaled! And the situation has already been resolved. He won't say how much he recouped from the insurance company, but he bought a Porsche, so I imagine he made out OK.

Actually there was a need for a test drive if the tech did brakes. Always. Problem there was the exuberant 20 year old. I'm sure he is no longer employed there, and the customer made out fine.

Actually, the tech took the car for a "test drive" the day after the car was cleared for pickup. The QC test was already completed. And generally those tests are performed on the lot if it's a dealership of any size at all, no need to take it onto a back street, lose control in a turn and ram the curb so hard that you total the car. That's not exuberance, it's total stupidity.

DAMN you beat me to it, I was going through the thread on the M5 forum trying to see how it was resolved. I knew i should have skipped class and stayed in my lazy boy to read the rest of it hahaha

Oh, I didn't realize it was just a joy ride. Yup, some people are just plain stupid. And I don't have a big lot where I work. (but I TRY not to be stupid)

LOL I just skimmed through the original thread, and the link he provided HERE. That car was completely totaled! And the situation has already been resolved. He won't say how much he recouped from the insurance company, but he bought a Porsche, so I imagine he made out OK.

is that the same deal? that link says M3??

Yup. That's what you get for being responsible. Quit school; all of the important learning can be had on the internet. :thumbsup:

I know damn my priorities. Im lucky that my bike is not at school with me....check that...I bet I could rearrange the living room :laugh::D:bike:

The story says he worked on the brakes, so it did need a test drive.

But Judge Judy would give it to the plaintiff anyway unless there's some statute or contract that says the garage isn't liable.

As much as it pains me to say it... ugh... I was... uh... wr..wro... nope, just can't say it. :laughing:

Two separate incidents as Travis said. And scary that this has happened more than once for the same stupid reason. I stand corrected. I hope the guy gets the new car he deserves. And learns that:
A. You never leave your car alone with a mechanic unless you absolutely have to.
And:
B. You never, ever leave a plumber alone in your house... unless you want them to rifle through your wife's unmentionables and sit bare-ass in your favorite recliner... present plumbers excluded of course.

Well I am a tech and they absolutley have to be taken on a road test after doing brakes, rotating tires, suspention......almost anything. Check them for noises, propper break in, warpage. I'm not gonna read the thread cause I think its a waste of my time. Once that customer signs the repair order they are giving permission for the dealer to work on the car. A repair order is a legal binding document. The QC should of been signd off after the road test has been completed.
When I work on a car I make sure it is 100% and cleaner than I recieved it. Because if I fuck up, and something goes wrong I am fucking screwed. Believe me, I hate my job and we get shit on all the time being called crooks and thieves. I have NEVER ripped anyone off and always put myself in the customers shoes. Sure I get fucked on pay and see people in the shop making maybe 15-20 hours more than me a week. They are the ones that fuck shit up and always get the comebacks because they are always worried about the next car they get and get it out the door. I'd rather take less pay then go to sleep at night with a bad conscious. Like I said, I hate my job but I take pride in it and am scored 99% on fixed right the first time and am in the top 180 techs in the US for VW. And I'll be the first to admit if I don't know how to do something

I'm not gonna read the thread cause I think its a waste of my time.

your a smart man! haha :laugh:

I am sure this happens all the time, I didnt post it to rag on techs or anything like that just something to talk about. I am not an avid dealership goer but it makes me feel better knowing there are still guys like you out there! :thumbsup:

yada yada yada.. As a Mercedes-Benz tech I see this stuff all the time. dealership life sucks and you never really get the full story.. I've worked on cars, finish my story, turn the repair order in, customer calls in for additional work so car comes back in the shop. (after if signed off as done)... ohh well... life goes on...

From that incident, I can say that it is really important to check our cars regularly. Anyway, let me share my car hunting experience. I started my car search in Houston online, and it made the task much smoother. It was easy to figure out that BMW was what I needed to purchase when it came to smooth, comfortable rides. The website showed me the best dealerships for getting an excellent price. From Momentum BMW you will definitely get the best car buying experience achievable. Therefore drop by Houston TX BMW quickly.

Back