Bogs - and other weird things

Chito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I generally believe my bikes runs on 40% Mechanical stuff, 40% Electrical stuff, and 20% magical stuff.

Here is some background...

It has always had a quirk where the horn won't work below 4k rpms. I've always assumed the problem with that fell under the magic part, which I can't do anything about... so I haven't. Now I'm thinking, maybe it might be electrical... and it's only getting power when the charging system kicks in.

Turn signal dash light and speedo/tach lights have never worked either. The neutral dash light does though.

It has free flowing exhaust.
Aftermarket tail light
Racetech rotor & stator
Mikesxs wiring harness

I've ridden this for about 2 years now. Here is some history.

I had jetted one up on pilot and it ran nice for about 2 or 3 months... then my coil went out. After I put a new one in (EMGO), I had a flat spot in my upper range. I went up a main jet size and it ran great for about a year and a half.

I developed a fuel leak at the carb t (yes, I had smashed it previously)... I replaced it with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Carb-Fuel-Tee-Alum-Yamaha-XS650-78-83-/271914121172

Weird things have started happening after that.

1. I got it all synced up and running again and it was super rich. SOOTY plugs. I rejeted back to stock and got it to run fine.

2. You know those little rubber vacuum caps? I stopped at an atm and turned my bike off. I started the bike and my right side vacuum cap shot about 40 feet away.

3. The electric starter went intermittent... and shortly after that, full time kick only.

4. I also started leaking gas out the petcock, but I tightened that up and it seems fine.

... so now the bike will run, but it seems to bog down when I roll on the throttle in the lower rev range. Usually about 3800 rpms, but sometimes if I'm in too high of a gear it will be lower. It doesn't seem to do it right at the beginning when I ride, but once it bogs, it will continue to bog.

Battery checks fine, but it is about 2 years old. It's always charged when I leave it for a day or two (12.something or other). Headlight gets brighter when revs.

I'm wondering maybe my problem isn't fuel and might be electrical.

Back