Bolt holding tappet cover stripped

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Putting on my tappet covers last night and one wouldnt tighten. Took it out and threads are gone on stud. Any one have suggestions on how to fix my head and can tell me what size and thread these studs are. Its right side just above exhaust coming out of engine. One of the 3. So bummed. I looked at my local suppliers web site and its not available.

Its more serious than that. Looking at the stud I thought the threads were gone because it was kind of smooth but it was put in there with J-B weld
there are threads down near the bottom of the hole so If I get a longer bolt I will be able to thread it in and J-B weld it again. probably would have stayed if the PO would have got a longer stud when he did it.

Put in a helicoil or timesert thread insert they are cheap enough and always on places like ebay, JB is like putting a band aid on a amputation it only covers it up and does little else.

This is what I have done before.....I drilled and tapped to m8x1.25. Went to my local Ace hardware and got a m8-m6 reducing stud. Had to cut down the m8 side a little bit but it works great. stud.jpg

This is what I have done before.....I drilled and tapped to m8x1.25. Went to my local Ace hardware and got a m8-m6 reducing stud. Had to cut down the m8 side a little bit but it works great. View attachment 61911

I have also used that sort of stud before, and for this application will probably be better than a helicoil.

dont jb weld it. I did that being a lazy butt and it came undone twice. Did it right drilling and tapping and haven't had a problem since.

I found a hardware store that had a 8 x 6 stud and taped it out installed new stud. worked fine. thanks for suggestions guys.

Attachments

• stud.jpg
    stud.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 212
The square top is 4mm. Craftsman has a metric ignition wrench set that contains that size open end. That's what I use. The small wrenches in the kit are also very nice for carb work and, of course, ignition work (installing points wire) .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-1...222598?hash=item4874713946:g:vYUAAOSwDk5TvG~M

If you're not in a hurry, the older sets, the ones in the gray and clear pouches, are better. They have a different size on each end of the wrench. Example - 6mm box paired with 5mm open end. The 6mm open end will be on a different wrench paired with some other size box. You want this in case you need two the same size like when tightening a nut onto a bolt where both head sizes are the same. The new wrench sets have the same size box and open end on each wrench. Stupid change in my opinion.

I don't use a tool on that adjuster screw, with the lock nut loose I just turn the screw with my fingers. But then again a lot of my friend used to refer to me as having vice grip fingers.
Those screws are easy to remove, once out use a Dremel tool to cut the square off and cut a slot to use a straight blade screwdriver.
Leo

Im not in a rush, having a good time with the bike.Been working on and off with it for a couple years now. thanks for the suggestions. I did see they sell a up grade adjuster. I used to have vw's and they had upgrade adjusters for them as well. Any time you have to manually adjust valves they always seem to get wore out nuts and adjusters.

Back