bottom end rebuild

xs650dreamer

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
can you rebuild the bottom end with taking apart top end ?
and also what is the name of the gear the kick starter rotates, and is that the same gear assembly the starter motor rotates?

No, right spot just in too big a hurry for an answer. Not everyone sets at the computer, just waiting to answer your question.
Now to give you a few answers. The e-start uses gears and a shaft to hook the starter to the crank shaft.
The kick start when you kick the lever engages gears in the transmission that turns the clutch hub. The hub is engaged to the basket by the plates which turn the basket that is geared to the crank.
Two entirely separate systems.
You can work on the transmission by flipping the engine upside down but to work on the crank you need to take off the top end so you can get the crank out to work on after you split the cases.
Leo

If you are just taking the bottom end apart to replace trans or do seal repair yes you can leave top end intact. But if you nee to get to crank and replace that seal ALL HAS TO COME APART or you can try and force the seal in.
What are you trying to do???

thanks guru wasnt in a hurry just been on other threads where ppl think somew questions are to "stupid" to answer.
and daddy g im trying to replace the gear the kickstart gear engages. there is teeth missing from both it and the kickstart and also my e start makes a shattering noise when i spin it so i cant have both starting option screwd up i think the "binion"? gear for the estart is screwed.
but i dont know the name of the gear for the kickstart or where to find it

That's much clearer. You have to take out trans to replace that gear but for the cost of that gear and could be bought on EBAY or YAMAHA site you may just want to buy a complete trans. The Kick starter same deal. The electric start is just a bad design for the motor and those gears are $52.00 and that also can be bought. So if you get it apart and know what you need I have in stock USED all those parts. There is a thread on here to repair your Starter #4 gear and it works . So you may only have to do that.
I can sell you all the parts you need much less or a complete trans and kick starter complete less than $75.00 shipped. Take yours out put better in.
Let me know if I can help

Back