Boy Am I Glad I Have My XS650

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many, if not all, of you are aware, gas prices have taken a jump. We're at ~$4.00/gallon here in mid-Michigan. I put about 70 miles on my bike today and all I can say is WOW, I'm glad I have my 650. I'm figuring I used somewhere between a gallon and two gallons of gas to do all the stuff I did today. If I was driving my truck ('08 F-150 supercrew 4x4) it would have cost me at least $35 in fuel to do my running. I'd also miss out on the sheer joy or riding open wheels if I was cooped up in my truck.

To my surprise my wife doesn't even bat an eye now when I take my bike out for errands. She's actually encouraging me to use it. Man, will wonders never cease?

Anyone else relying more on two wheels than four wheels right now?

It is an extra bonus of owning a motorcycle! Last year I think I rode 8.5 of the 12 months in Wisconsin! Not this year seeing as the bike currently does not run :( But thats all the more incentive to hurry up and finish my build!

The wood hauler Dakota 4X4 15MPG But that heats my house 100%
The "cycle getter" van 25MPG (5 cyl turbo diesel)
1100 shadow 42MPG
Prius 48MPG
XS650 52MPG
750 Shadow 52MPG

The Prius gets the most use pretty much year round

Well, maybe it's time to review the PAMCO with the "Ultimate" coil and Iridium spark plugs.

iridium.jpg

These results were from a series of test runs that I did with my stock '81/H running BS34's and EMGO Dunstall Replica 27" mufflers. The run was a 70 mile round trip leaving and returning to the same gas pump for the fill up and mileage calculation. The roads were mostly highways with little traffic and few stop lights at 55 MPH. Temperature in the 70's with the barometric pressure at 30". Typical South Carolina weather!

Yep, been riding to work for the last month. 50 mile round trip.
Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 19mpg
Ducati Hypertard 34mpg, non spirited.:thumbsup:
Ducati 999R less than 25mpg, doesn't go to work, fun roads only.:D
72 XS2 50mpg ridden a couple times a week.:bike:
78 DT175 70+mpg work is little too far for the 2 smoke, but have taken it to work in the past. I try to ride anytime there is not a chance of precip.

Well, maybe it's time to review the PAMCO with the "Ultimate" coil and Iridium spark plugs.

iridium.jpg

These results were from a series of test runs that I did with my stock '81/H running BS34's and EMGO Dunstall Replica 27" mufflers. The run was a 70 mile round trip leaving and returning to the same gas pump for the fill up and mileage calculation. The roads were mostly highways with little traffic and few stop lights at 55 MPH. Temperature in the 70's with the barometric pressure at 30". Typical South Carolina weather!

Pamcopete - You just opened up my eyes to the "Ultimate" coil. I've been considering it over the stock coil I have now. Based on your results I'll be getting one as soon as I sell my extra bike (selling a Ninja I fixed up).

Pete - Is Mikesxs.com the only online seller of your coil or do you have another supplier...something more direct, like yourself for instance?

I like the fact that Pete's tests show best gas mileage using one size larger main in the BS34s. That's a pretty good indicator that the stock 132.5 is too small and that the bike struggles and works harder when running it, resulting in worse mileage. Jetting too rich isn't the only way to hurt your MPGs, too lean hurts as well.

5twins,

Yes, the combination of the 17-6903 coil and the Iridium plugs is so efficient at burning the mixture it's equivalent to running lean unless you increase the main jet size.

I am also glad I have my 81' XS650(57MPG) and my 95 Yamaha FZR600R (47MPG).The FZR is better for highway use and longer distance. I also have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that loves to suck down gas; something like 18MPG city/23MPG HWY. I live in NJ with one of the lowest gas prices in the country. Regular is at $3.51/gal. for now

hehh, I have a Cherokee, too. But a '95, 2 door. It does pretty well on gas if I drive it, umm, conservatively. But sometimes the heavy duty traffic around here demands that I FLOOR ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, and then I can actually see the gas gauge go down as I accelerate. Well maybe that's my imagination, lol....but the mileage on that vehicle REALLY varies according to how it's driven.

I had a bike like that once, too. An '87 Honda Magna. Driven "rowdy" it would just guzzle gas, but driven placidly, it just sipped.

My 07 Sportster gets the same 45 mph no matter how it is ridden. Strange, huh?

I don't remember what kind of mileage I got on my old '79 XS. But I'm starting to really itch to get my project bike on the road. It's going to be great at rallies and stuff where I have to go into loose dirt parking lots and all. Nice and light, and easy to move in and out of tight spaces.

Gas hit $4.10 a gallon here in Illinois. I can drive across the Mississippi to St. Louis and get it $0.20 per gallon cheaper but it still costs me gas to get over there for it if I don't have another reason for the drive. I agree now that fuel is costing more, my wife is less harsh on me about riding the bike more. Now that spring is here, I need another reason to be out on the open road with it.

Back