Boyer Branson micro coil fitting

colebrooker

XS650E US import
Reaction score
Having removed the two original coils I thought there would be plenty of room for the new micro coil but it is an awkward shape. This makes it hard to fit under the tank. I have tried making brackets twice but neither worked out. Also the suggested way according to the instructions made it too wide for the tank clearance.
Any good ideas out there?

Having removed the two original coils I thought there would be plenty of room for the new micro coil but it is an awkward shape. This makes it hard to fit under the tank. I have tried making brackets twice but neither worked out. Also the suggested way according to the instructions made it too wide for the tank clearance.
Any good ideas out there?
This bracket designed to fit '82 XS650 frame, dunno if it would work on yours. I already had an XS750 tank on my bike, which had more lateral clearance than stock XS650 tank.

Attachments

• Bracket Sketch.jpg
    Bracket Sketch.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 191
  • BBcoilinstalled_right side view.JPG
    BBcoilinstalled_right side view.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 191
  • BBcoilinstalled_left side view.JPG
    BBcoilinstalled_left side view.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 176
What XS model do you have?

As with aldo5468's bracket above, mine for an XS650SH is also designed to fill the old coil's space:
Coil Adapter.jpg
Coil.JPG

Edit: Just noted yours is a 2 coil model so my suggestion is not much help.

Can you mount it in the area of the horn and have the HT leads approach the plugs from the front rather than the traditional approach from the rear? Above the horn area there is a useful space where the frame runs under the tank and meets the headstock.

Meddy, very clever! I see the bulk of the coil fits in towards the frame so the tank can fit on easily. Nice job.

Very nice Meddy. It looks like you are doing a complete makeover.
Mine looks more of a bodge job, there is a lot of other stuff in that area. The indicator relay sits between the 2 coils and is quite bulky. I might revisit if it works ok. Thanks all for your input.

Attachments

• New ign 3.JPG
    New ign 3.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 145
Back