Brake Nipple Stuck

scrapper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bleeder nipple of my front caliper is stuck hard.
I've spared penetrating oil on it everyday for a week and no joy.
Heating it up seems to be the best solution, all the examples i've
seen use Gas torches or soldering irons.
Could I use a regular mains powered soldering iron to heat the nipple up?
Figure it's time to replace the nipple after this if it's damaged anyway.

I've gotten away from using open flames and now use a heat gun. It will get things good and hot for you without the risks of an open flame. When you get the bleed nipple loose, remove it and check its bottom end. I found one so tightened, it had crimped the hole in the bottom closed. We couldn't get that caliper to bleed and that was why.

I don't have a heatgun or gas torch and hoping to avoid buying one that's why I'm hoping to get away with the soldering iron.

scrapper,

Do you have a product named "Liquid Wrench" available? I've used that to loosen a variety of things, including seized spark plugs. Spray some on the nipple and let it sit overnight.

Then apply heat from a heat gun and the aluminum should expand faster than the steel bleeder to aid in loosening things up.

Clean of the penetration fluid before heating.

Heating fluids like Liquid Wrench can give off some bad fumes.

I ended up giving it a few more taps from the hammer and it came loose.
I've got another spare caliper with the same issue so will try the heat method
over the weekend.
Offending nipple image attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20140717-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20140717-WA0005.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 185
Glad you got it out, that looks pretty rough. When ever a bolt is "really" stuck it never hurts trying to tighten AND loosen alternately. That has gotten many otherwise intractable bolts loose for me. I will guess you will be putting a new piston in that caliper. A socket on your hand impact wrench is useful also.

scrapper,

When you encounter a stuck bleeder valve like that, chances are that the caliper has never been taken apart and cleaned up. I found that on my Honda CB750C. Both bleed valves were stuck like yours, so I took the caliper apart first before spending too much time and effort on the bleeders, and sure enough, the piston and cylinders were beyond repair, so I got a couple of "new" ones on Ebay and replaced them.

Back