Brake pad reccomendation?

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering what front and rear brake pads everyone was running? I am on a 1981 XS 650 special and was hoping for some reccomendations!

thanks guys
Jonas

I have OEM fronts and SBS shoes on back. No complaints. Just don't buy no name brakes. My general rule with dynamic parts is, if they don't race, I don't buy. Industry standards are one thing, but race bred reliability is another.

I run Versah pads from 650 Central. Good Brakes!

roy
Should be! They have won numerous world endurance racing championships. A very well developed product, and endurance racing is where wear items get beat the worst. Anyone's chain and sprockets, for instance, can handle superbike grade power for the 45 minutes of a sprint race (around 75 miles) but running LeMans or Suzuka for 8 hours and nearly 500 miles at 9/10ths on a 180+ RWHP beast will tax the shit out of them. Same with brakes and clutches. Suzuka bikes routinely eat 3 sets of brakes and at least 2 clutches. The ultimate wear accelerator is the race track, and the track lab is where engineers see the most extreme use compressed in time and make the most effective design changes.

+2 Use those Vesrahs. Not just any Vesrah pads. They improve the brake feel but an 11mm ish master cylinder and SS line finish the job. With those changes the brakes are plenty powerful for a stock XS650 on the street.

2 out of 3 ain't bad. I have an 11mm Brembo master and SS line on mine and the braking power easily overwhelms the suspension, which is thus far un modified.

Failed to mention I also run the 11mm Brembo M/C and stainless line on both xs650's and the SR500. All in all a good package. I've thought about going to the Brembo calipers but as the Ace points out, all three bikes are able to overwhelm the suspension and front tire adhesion as they are.

roy

Back