Brake pads

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All

Bought new brake pads for my 76 dual brake setup, but when i put one brake pad in the other wont fit, the caliber pistons seems fully retracted. am i missing the point here or what, i have searched the forum, but no one seem to have had the same problem.

I have tried two different types the ones mike sells and vesra, same problem, they seem to be to thick. the brake disc is 7mm thick.

hope you can help.

Best regards Simon

Attachments

• IMAG0916_opt.jpg
    IMAG0916_opt.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0917_opt.jpg
    IMAG0917_opt.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG0919_opt.jpg
    IMAG0919_opt.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 120
Your piston is not fully retracted. A C-clamp is often needed to move the pistons back. From the look of the calipers, its time to completely disassemble and check the piston/caliper for cleanliness/rust.................dirt around the seal, etc.

Ok RG is there an easy way to get the pistons out or will i have to reconnect and refill to push them out.

Best regards Simon

Quote from Haynes manual:

"Remove the 2 bolts which clamp the caliper halves, and separate the 2 halves. Wrap each half in a clean rag and displace the piston, using a compressed air jet. Pry out the seals from each caliper half"

Use caution with the compressed air. Start with very low pressure at first. The piston may suddenly fly outward.

Thanks again RG, will try that with the compressed air and flying piston, sounds like fun.

Best regards Simon

Hi All

Bought new brake pads for my 76 dual brake setup, but when i put one brake pad in the other wont fit, the caliber pistons seems fully retracted. am i missing the point here or what, i have searched the forum, but no one seem to have had the same problem.

I have tried two different types the ones mike sells and vesra, same problem, they seem to be to thick. the brake disc is 7mm thick.

hope you can help.

Best regards Simon
......................... i have a 1976 xs650 with twin disc set up ,,,, the pads for those have a little wing on the end of the stem where it locates ,,, regards oldbiker

Back