Brake Splitter

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone ever use a brake splitter to control the rear brake with the front lever?
Thanks again.

Sorry...just noticed that someone had a similar post about a month ago.
Still curious though how spongey it might be without the front brake?

No but I have used one on the back brake that also used the front, can't remember which bike it was, either bmw or moto guzzi

I built a sidecar set-up a few years back so my young daughter could ride with me. I ended up having issues with the mid mounted pegs and the Velorex mount and it forced me to remove the rear brake MC. I ended up using a brake proportioning valve tied in with the front master cylinder. It worked very well. I don't use much rear brake anyway but sometimes it is nice to have some stopping power back there. I used one similar to this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-adjustable-hyd-brake-system-proportioning-valve-/370252065497?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5634be2ad9

The bike I had it on it came as standard, twin disks on the front, one operated with the back brake, the other on the front brake leaver.
The combined brake on the rear brake pedal would be the minimum I would use if I wanted clean bars, had a chopper once with a stupid 70's front drum about 4" totally useless, and very dangerous, I was to frightened to go anywhere on it because I knew I couldn't stop in a hurry!

Don I'm confused are you not running the front brake and useing the front brake lever to operate the back, or are you running front and rear brakes from one master.

Sorry for the confusion.
I've been considering losing the front brake and just keeping the front lever for convenience and connecting it to the rear...
Kinda seems like more trouble than it's worth.
I've seen a lot of photos lately of XS's without a front brake, not sure who's riding em' but I think it's too brave for me! ;)

Oh, I see. I thought you were wanting a way to link the front and rear brake together. My Shovelhead chop has no front brake. It is a 21inch spool and has no hub to attach the rotor to. I just plumbed my front master to the rear brake. I would have used the rear brake instead but it is a foot clutch set-up and this makes it a little easier to operate in the city. As for being brave, it's not that for me. Understand your braking limitations with just a rear disk and ride within them and you will be fine. I have had my chop like this for years and I rarely even think about it now. For sure it is less safe than a traditional set-up, especially emergency stopping, but it isn't the death machine stuff that some will make it out to be.

Shovelchopper.jpg

Good advice man, thanks. Most people that comment have never ridden one.
Wish I could ride someone else's before doing it to mine! ;) haha
Some say it's a little weak, others- it's just enough to hold a stop at a light.

Back