Brat Kit

bpd106

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Antbody here ever make their own brat kit? What kind of pipe did you use, how are your bends, etc.? Just wondering, I've got some pipe, and was looking at the visual impacts kit, which is nice, but I'm trying to save a little money by making my own. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

BPD106

You'll want to use mild steel tubing and not pipe. I believe 7/8" is stock but 1" looks good too. I would go with a .120" wall just to error on the safe side.

I guess I should have said that I have tubing, not pipe. I guess it's just what I call it bein from these parts & all! I'm sure I'll figure something out, I was looking for others' ideas and what they used.

BPD106

Those bends are fairly mild, so you could make them with a regular pipe bender if you have access to one.

Yeah I was kinda thinkin a regular pipe bender would do it. I don't have fast access to a bender, but I know Harbor Freight has one for $99. It would be cheaper to just buy the Visual Impacts kit. I dunno, I got a bud that's an awesome fabricator. I'll have him take a look at it hopefully soon. I'm gonna look at the stock seat rails too and see what I can maybe come up with.

never used the harbor freight one but my buddy said its kinks the shit out of the pipe. Followed that up with you can have it if you want it.

It won't kink .120 wall tubing unless you try to bend the shit out of it. I use one all the time. On those shallow bends there isn't a chance in hell of kinking anything.

I found a local hotrod shop for my bends. They charged me $30 for 6 bends (enough for 2 bikes). I'm using 3/4 rather than 7/8ths. more people have the dyes for 3/4. When i called around there were places wanting $90 a bend. F' that.

i have a harbor freight bender i got in trade for work and it works fine for stuff like that,i have made dune buggy bumpers and bike frame parts with good results,buy the bender you will have for future projects.

Attachments

• Picture 084.jpg
    Picture 084.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Picture 248.jpg
    Picture 248.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 95
i have a harbor freight bender i got in trade for work and it works fine for stuff like that,i have made dune buggy bumpers and bike frame parts with good results,buy the bender you will have for future projects.

My bends are a lot further than that. The Harbor freight benders would have just Kinked them even if I filled them with sand. I've got 60 deg bends on mine....we're shooting for about a 23" seat.

the bender i have is a cheapie but its a large one. has dies from like 1/2 inch to 3 1/2 inch pipe,it designed to bend pipe not tubing but i have had good results, Pipes measured on the inside tubing is measured on the outside so the dies on these cheap pipe benders are off a little

Back