Brats and suspension travel

Kinsygrl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm at a point on my 81 xs where I need to consider what shocks and how to mount. Looking at a lot of the photos of brats I find it hard to belive they aren't rubbing either the seat pan or the fender. I'm so concerned about this I'm concidering stretching the swing arm about 3" in hopes of making room for travel. Is this needed or am I over thinking?

I'll let you know after the weekend!!!:D

9097021210_f28d7ac741_b.jpg

Do the conversion, and then decide on what shocks to get. That's what I'm going to do.
Most don't stretch the swingarm but it has been done.

I have a VI brat kit, I am going to install on my wife's bike in a few weeks. I have a spare stock swing arm I plan on using to stretch the bike about 3". My plan is to use a 11" shock and moving the lower mount forward and backward to get the ride height I want. I will be watching this thread for more ideas

I went with 11.5" progressives on stock shock mounts and s/a with a flat seat pan mounted on the stock frame and my wheel has scrubbed the seat pan after going over some bumps that I would've dodged had I realised their size. Probably need to up the preload a bit I think. I held out a while thinking I needed 10.5" for the look I wanted but I'm so glad I didn't.

Ive just bought the VI brat kit too. I got some really short 10" shocks off ebay pretty cheap that I am going to give a go. I dont mind if the ride is really stiff, as I am going to eventually go with a hardtail anyway, so even stiff shocks will be more forgiving than a hardtail.

Once I get it all said and done, I will post up pics.

I did a little guesswork when putting mine together... I set the fender based off of 11.5" shocks. I regret it a little, as it would look better with the rear end slammed a little more with 10.5 shocks...

I got my shocks from mikesxs, and they are the monza 11.5". They are stiff as the devils dick! They dont travel very much at all..

I tried running some 10.5" for a few rides, but under harder bumps i was rubbing my wheel on the fender. Swapped back to 11.5s and it doesnt rub anymore.

You just need to give yourself enough clearance for a few inches of travel... Some of the bikes I see are under 1" clearance to the fender... its hard to believe they arent rubbing... unless they are little dudes..

Few of my project...

xs+650+brat+9002.jpg

These photos were taken with the 10.5s on... you can see how close it was when going 65mph on the interstate...

Brat+Riding+xs+650+004.jpg

I think im going to mount my rear fender off my swingarm, to alleviate any potential issues with the tyre hitting on the fender. My only issue will be the fender hitting on my seat. I am a little concerned that my seat height will be pretty low, but once I get the seat kit, I will be able to figure it all out. Might have to move the swingarm shock mounts forward a little to adjust for the shorter seat pan.

Monstercraftsman brat kit. AWESOME piece of work, I can't say it enough!!

Yeah I'm struggling with wether or not to buy it because I'm more than likely capable of doing my own ( little worried bout semetry ) but I also think I want to go a little lower. G

Kinsy... it really depends how you mount your fender. If you mount it to the swingarm, then clearance needed is minimal. The other factor, is what shocks you use. Rebel shock are 10.5" but have very little travel. I made my own "brat kit", and wouldn't do it any other way... but I do have better ideas for the next one.

IMG_20130426_144536_258.jpg

Kinsy... it really depends how you mount your fender. If you mount it to the swingarm, then clearance needed is minimal. The other factor, is what shocks you use. Rebel shock are 10.5" but have very little travel. I made my own "brat kit", and wouldn't do it any other way... but I do have better ideas for the next one.

IMG_20130426_144536_258.jpg

I really like your home built brat. Do you have a build thread on how you did this. Maybe some more pics. Nice work!

my old setup, 1.5" of space and only rubbed on big dips or potholes. I weighed 180+ and had the preload of the rebel shocks maxed out. stiff ride.
1257123057.jpg

more recent, this fender gives a lot more clearance. I still keep the preload all the way up because the bike is lowered and I don't like dragging my kickstand.
1382938435.jpg

Back