Brembo brake with spoke wheel woes, Help!

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my brembo goldline all hooked up, with Pandemoniums bracket kit and am having a few issues.

The forks are I strongly believe 76 xs650 forks, 34mm, which according to dan, do not need a rotor spacer.

Now, these particular forks are a bit funny, as the calliper mounts are on the non-leading side of the forks, when most 34mm are on the leading side.

So my issue is clearance. The brembo hits the spokes on the inside, yet, I seem to not have much room for a rotor spacer..I have ground down the backside of the calliper quite a lot, i have filed all the edges on the inside to just below the pads, yet I still am hitting the spokes..

Again, I think the rotor is off a xs, sr or rd, as the bolt pattern matches, and it has the same offset.

Any advice, suggestions, or anything at all? :doh: :wtf:

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 274
Check out my build log, I wanted to use a Brembo as well and keep my spoke rims. Unfortunately those fat calipers have a problem fitting, however if you like what you see in my build log, you can likely sell your Brembo and pandemonium bracket, swap to the unit I used with no financial loss. Then I can trace my bracket and send you it with any/all measurements. All the classic look of a spoke rim, with the compact high functionality of a Brembo unit.

How much clearance is there between rotor and fork? How much do you think you need to prevent the caliper hitting the spokes? A thinner rotor with a spacer would allow you to go outward more... Im not familiar with 34mm forks or spoke wheels but are there differences between the sides like on the mag wheels...

There is maybe 10mm between the rotor bolts and fork..

I would need maybe half that to clear the spokes.

My concern is high speeds, would a bit of flex cause the brake to hit the spokes creating a disaster?

Seems kinda close. How thick is that rotor? I have a pandemonium kit with my mag set it and it took a bit of farting around. I use the mikes rotor though. Its about half the thickness of the standard rotor and the offset is different.

I ran the same setup on my 34mm. In fact, it was my bitching to Dan that got him to make a bracket for 34mm forks, I shipped him my rotor for R&D.

Left side brembo flipped and bolted up on the right leg.

The spacer isn't necessary with the 34mm disc, but you will have the file the back of the caliper a bit to clear the spokes. I believe that's mentioned in the instructions:

Interference from flex wasn't an issue with mine.

5804175493_f721265c6f.jpg

5804175893_42cece6f4e.jpg

I just installed this kit on my 72. I ground out the center of the caliper and was able to make it fit with the disc off center. I only had to trim about 1mm off the backside. The pistons adjusted themselves when I bled the brakes and it works like a charm now. I'll work on photos later if my description is unclear.

Nutt, You ground down the backside, as in, exactly what I did?

I think its a lost cause. Im worried if I go any further with removing material off the backside of the caliper, ill go right through to the piston.

Thanks for trying guys, I guess its something thats a bit to difficult to explain. It just doesn't fit.

There is maybe 10mm between the rotor bolts and fork..

I would need maybe half that to clear the spokes.

My concern is high speeds, would a bit of flex cause the brake to hit the spokes creating a disaster?

With my FZR calipers and spoke wheels, even with the rotors spaced out seriously as far as possible, the caliper-spoke clearance is tight. They just touched the spokes. After serious deliberation and measuring, I shaved the calipers about 1/8". Plenty of meat left in the calipers, and while the spoke clearance still looks spooky, I've had zero issues. I too was concerned about spoke flex, but with tight and true spokes, it just hasn't been an issue. As I see it, it's still more clearance than the end of the dipstick has to the gears in the transmission!

I still say sell the caliper with the bracket in the classifieds here, I'm sure someone with mag wheels will jump on it. Join me on the darkside, and revel in the thinner caliper joys. I'll mail you a tracing of my bracket even to speed your transition along, its much nicer now that it looks in the picture I trimmed the edges closer and smoother it out a good deal. It still looks slightly like a 1/2 peeled banana but hey...

Nutt, You ground down the backside, as in, exactly what I did?

I think its a lost cause. Im worried if I go any further with removing material off the backside of the caliper, ill go right through to the piston.

Thanks for trying guys, I guess its something thats a bit to difficult to explain. It just doesn't fit.

I did grind the caliper, but the main fabrication I had to do was grind out the center of the caliper so it was all open and the disc could sit in it slightly off-center. Not sure if that helps or not. I don't have any photos on my phone, but when I get home from work I'll snap a few photos of the setup that is working currently.

Ok, How much did you take off?

I removed a decent amount, but maybe not enough..

Now I see what you mean by it centered it self..

I may have to go that route t3chnic4l...ill keep you updated

:shrug: I have to say it was a lot easier for me with 35mm forks and mag wheels. I think you could use a thin spacer, say 3mm to move the whole assembly out from the spokes. If you have 10mm clearance (at your guess) why not use it. I had my spacers made at local machine shop for 20 bucks... The kit comes with them but i needed a different thickness.

Back