broken frame

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hay any one out had any problems with the frame braking the back bonr just over the rear eng. mount. has a t.c.bro.hard tail.it broke 1/4" above the top rear eng. mount
not at a weld joint. or around a weld joint any info as to why so I don't have this happen again? :wtf:

Attachments

• dans pic's 1 077.jpg
    dans pic's 1 077.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 147
  • dans pic's 1 078.jpg
    dans pic's 1 078.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 181
I guess this is off the yellow bike in your album. lack of bracing and lack of engine mounts.

look at the frame, (81 Special), in my albums and you will see it has 2 braces at exactly the place your frame has broken. In your picture your rear engine mount is not correctly mounted and without a top engine mount the vibrations/stress will transfer to the other mounts = more stress in those areas and with less bracing these sorts of things are going to happen. Bloody scary. Don't like the way the frame is misaligned at the bottom where it welds onto the Hard-tail either.

Some people have had problems fitting hard-tails to the early 70-73 frames because they, (hard-tails), are made for the 74-83 frames

I think we are going to see a lot more of these sorts of problems rear their ugly head in the future.

Last edited:
the rear mount was on it just remove it to look at the brake.good thing it stoped charging (I took the elc. box off to replace the reg. and found the brake.)

The rear mount should be held on with 3 bolts, one on the engine and 2 on the frame. in your pics, (album), the mount is held onto the frame with one bolt and the other bracket hole, (on the frame), is used for the other mount facing backwards.

yes it was the 72 frame has difrent mounts and I could not find any so i used what I had I gess I should have made a set. I have been told that that mount wasent even needed
so I thout it wolud be ok gess not.

Might have been some stress put into the frame furring the hardtail install. It completely cracked and pulled away.

Posted via Mobile

Might have been some stress put into the frame furring the hardtail install. It completely cracked and pulled away.

Posted via Mobile
It could have been stressed don't know much about it as I got this bike as a project bike off ebay, i just cleaned it up a bit and added the neck tie.it did not have one before
and power coated it NOT sure if i'm going to fix or add an ardtail.:banghead:

Last edited:
I had an old harley 55 hard tail break the back bone below the the mount. Stress point the frame takes the pounding every bump in the road. So you have a 37 year old frame that has allready taken a beating. Frames do break hard tails in particular.

Instead of welding it back up, why not try out the paugcho xs frame?
d%20frame)%20Mid%20Control%20mounts%20not%20shown..jpg

That would be my route anyway.

Posted via Mobile

I would just be worried about the rest of the frame if it has snapped there. Who knows where else is weak now.

Posted via Mobile

Found the problem the po had ground off the rear suportd and went too thin. I but welded it and the caped it with 1.75 .120 drilled holes for mount then split it and welded it around the tube looks good and should make it stronger. I'll send pic's when i can.

Back