BS34 Blind Plug Removal

bpd106

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the best/easiest way to remove the mixture screw plugs on the BS34's without destroying anything? I've got one carb (left) that seems to be running a little lean, and I have checked/replaced everything else except the mixture screw settings. Everything else is in sync. I just want to check the screw settings and adjust if necessary.

Thanks,
bpd106

I use a self tapping sheet metal screw. It's a little of a pain. Get the screw in to cap, turn it back and forth as you pull up. It will usually, slowly lift out. Be sure to not pry to a side. The mix screw port can snap or crack off.

Don't drive the screw into the mix screw!!! If you look at my thread, "Clean BS34s my ass" you'll see what an idiot with a drill can do.

The ones I have run into recently were deep brass plugs that were real happy where they were. I drill em out stepping up drill size til the drill size gets near the plug OD, they loosen and come out on the drill. I have done em with a battery drill but a drill press is much more secure. Haven't bunged a screw (yet).

Gary, with that statement you have probably condemned yourself to a damaged mix screw the next time you remove a blind plug. :laugh:

Back