BS34 Choke (Enricher) not raising RPMs ?

drdano

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOLOVED!. BS34 Choke (Enricher) not raising RPMs ?

Hello folks. I have an interesting situation with a pair of BS34 carbs. My '83 year model had a pair of earlier BS34's on it with the hand type choke that I used to learn a bit about tuning, jetting and synchronizing. Ran fantastic with these and were a great set of carbs I've torn down dozens of times through the past few years. :thumbsup:

Ok, so the OEM correct carbs were rebuilt that have a cable type choke, everything cleaned out, inspected, etc. I pulled my jets from my other pair of carbs, and the bike runs exactly as before performance wise. The problem I have now, is that when I use more than about 1/4 of the choke travel the motor seems to be flooding out rich. Even with 1/4 choke, it absolutely will not start. If I raise the RPMs manually with a clip to get it near 1500 RPMs and no choke, it will start. The RPMs also never raise in that 1/4 choke once the motor is running, it just seems to richen out and die. I've pulled these carbs a half dozen times, checked the pressed in jet in the bowl, checked the pipe from the bowl to the enricher up top, everything seems clear. I even swapped the plungers from my old carbs to these ones with no difference. :banghead:

What am I missing here? I feel like there is something stupid going on here (likely operator error) that I'm missing that is going to make these carbs just as good as my other set. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Aside from this choke problem, this set is great. I don't like mechanical problems beating me either...I'm sure I can figure this out somehow, just need some ideas.

I don't have cable operated starter parts, so idk, but can't you just attach the needed hardware to make the early 34's cable operated?

I figured out the problem this afternoon. On the rebuilt set of carbs the gasket did not have the small disc punched out that connected to the channel going to the choke feed tube. Also, there is a small hole in each choke feed tube that as blocked. Once corrected, the choke works as expected. This photo is the old carbs that worked great, notice the hole in the gasket northeast of the black pilot jet plug.

Attachments

• 20150802_151455.jpg
    20150802_151455.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 142
Notice the gasket here on the new carbs. I also teased out the small hole in the feed pipe side, about level with the carb body and used a flashligh to check I could see light through the cleared hole.

Attachments

• 20150802_151504.jpg
    20150802_151504.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 151
Back