BS38 butterfly removal

ryamatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im cleaning up a set of bs38s and I am going to go all in and put new butterfly shaft seals in. I have the butterfly screws out however, the butterflies themselves are not sliding nicely out of the slot in the shaft. Is there a trick to it? How much force should I be using? Pull out with pliers and a rag? Bang out carefully with a plastic drift or something? They are loose in the shaft but are binding up on the carb body. Thanks.

The plates are beveled top and bottom so keep them straight in relation to the mounting holes and shaft. In other words, don't rotate them in the shaft slots. I think then you just turn the plates horizontal and slide them out.

Problem solved. I was twisting them a little and the taper was getting snagged. When I pulled them straight out they were tight but came out. I just wasn't sure what was normal so I thought I better ask before I broke something. Thanks. R

Careful with any clean up or polish work on the butterflys, no buffing wheel! They are soft brass and the edges can easily be rounded, not good!

I know this is an old thread, but am looking for some info. I am piecing together a second set of carbs that came with my recent 75b purchase, and there is a set of mostly disassembled carbs in bags that I found among the spare boxes that came with it. Most parts are there but it appears that a PO had serious issues removing the butterfly. It is mangled and bent pretty bad from where it looks like he forced it with plyers. Are the butterfly units interchangeable among other years of BS38's? I've been searching through old threads but cannot find anything on this. I think the PO butchered it so bad that he didn't even try to remove the shaft from the other carb and abandoned the rebuild attempt and just replaced the set.

Not all years are the same. There is a number stamped on them. If installed correctly, it should be on the lower half, right side up, and facing out. The '70-'73 BS38s used a #125. '74-'79 BS38s used a #120 .....

ncdSXom.jpg

The BS34s differ again. They used a #135.

Back