BS38 Carb Jets for TX650A - XSB

Sweet. I can certainly do that since I bought a bunch of M5 x 0.8 x 16's recently.

The clamps are aluminum are they not? Mine are nasty looking, but will clean up.

Say, speaking of cleaning things up, have you ever used Brasso on carb parts? I think its got some ammonia in it. I used just on the brass fuel nipples and they really shine now. Mechanically unnecessary sure, but aesthetically pleasing... :)

I think the clamps are cad plated steel. I paint ratty cad parts with a Q-tip and silver Testor's model paint. It gives a finish much like the original cad, shiny but not too shiny. Oh, and another tip for the driver footpeg brackets - waterproof magic marker. Same deal, shiny but not too shiny and very close to the original look.

Excerpt From Carb Guide (Post 7, Sealing Air Leaks: Throttle Shaft Seals)

"First, note the orientation of the throttle plate, and mark the shaft for its exact position".

From this Thread:

"You need to take notes before you yank things apart".

With respect to the orientation of the throttle plate prior to removal, I utterly failed to follow above advice and follow the Guide. :banghead:

I'm sure I can get all of the respective (throttle shaft/seals, etc.) parts back on in proper sequence and so forth, but I'm concerned about whether I can get the plates and shafts positioned back where they need to be.

I've seen another thread where there are pics showing how the plates need to have the 120's upside down...

Advice?

I'm pretty sure the numbers go right side up and below the shaft .....

34ThrottlePlates2.jpg

Note how the plate angles in at the top and out on the bottom slightly. The top and bottom edge of the plate are beveled slightly to fit the bore at that angle. Check the bevels and that will confirm which way the plates go.

When mounting, the plates need to be centered in the bore. Mount them loosely and install all the shaft parts including the return spring. Rotate the plate wide open and let it snap shut via the return spring several times. This will center the plate in the bore. Then tighten the mounting screws. When you install the return springs, they pull the shafts over towards them slightly. If you already have the plates tightened down, this can bind them in the bores.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

I plan to tackle carb re-assembly this weekend....wife & kids permitting.

The dreaded Back to School shopping spree looms however...

Back