BS38 Mixture Screw Cover Thingy

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
On my carbs the left hand side has a plastic cover with a little tab on the mixture screw, while the right hand side is bare. Because of this, I can turn the right hand side mixture screw out as far as I want, but the left hand side only a half turn...if that.

Should I remove the plastic cap?

Also, what are the screw directly below each of the mixture screws?

Posted via Mobile

Yup remove the plastic cap. Carefuly with a needle nose and it can be reinstalled. The screw below the mixture screw starts the self detonation timer, DO NOT REMOVE IT!!! No, just kidding. I would have to look but I think that is the vacuum port cover screw to get vacuum for carb synching if your intakes don't have a vacuum tube.

One quick thing:

First I was getting surging when the choke was off.

Now I've got the idle pretty low with the choke on, but with the choke off I can't get it down below 1500 without it blowing the carbs off.

So can I run the mixture screw out 6 turns or should I be looking at bigger jets?

I've also got no filters and taper tip mufflers. I plan to buy filters.

Posted via Mobile

Don't think I need bigger jets because when I pulled the plugs they were quite wet. Despite running for a bit.

Posted via Mobile

even with changes to your exhaust and intake your idle mixture screw should be pretty close to the factory setting.. a really doubt a full turn in either way will be needed.

run bike on one cylinder (always ground the spark plug to engine)
set mix screw to factory, turn back and forth until you find the spot with the fastest idle. this is where you want to be..
then do the other cylinder.

Where's this 6 turns out on the mix screw thing coming from lately??? If you need that many then your carbs are fucked up, plain and simple. Your plugs are already black, wet, and fouling. 6 turns out on the mix screws will make that condition worse, so will larger jets. Running with the choke on for too long will turn your plugs black and can foul them.

PHeller;

You better do a ton of studying on carbs in general and CV carbs in particular. If you aren't inclined to increase your knowledge, pay someone who has carb experience.

5twins it is the new way to achieve higher compression.
Custom Carbon build up.

LMAO "plain and simple"

Back