bs38 which way round do brass floats go?

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Cleaned and re-assembled a set of bs38s and adjusted the float tang but I have a suspicion I might have put them back reversed. Which way round are they supposed to go - with the solder join on the top\visible or underneath?

I think I understand what you're asking. The soldered joint, where the bracket attaches to the float "bulbs", would be on top and visible - with the carbs upside down. I'm not even sure the bowl would fit back on if you had the floats flipped over.

38Low.jpg

Don't mind the ruler reading, it's off because of the viewing angle.

Thanks 5twins, as always a massive help. Could I ask another newb question sorry - I just got new carb boots for the bs38 today and they don't come with the metal outer flanged cover that goes over the rubber boot. The carb rubbers seem good quality - do I have to have this metal cover?

That would depend on which manifolds you got. If they're the JBMs, they're made stronger and don't require the shroud. It's a good thing too because they are also a bit larger and the shroud won't fit on. If they're O.E.M. or replicas, like from Mike's, then you need the shroud. It adds extra needed support. The manifolds can split in short order without it.

I know, the covers look bad usually, all brown and dingy. But there's a cure. I think it was gggGary that discovered they're made of stainless. You can strip the dingy coating off and they'll shine like chrome.

I think I understand what you're asking. The soldered joint, where the bracket attaches to the float "bulbs", would be on top and visible - with the carbs upside down. I'm not even sure the bowl would fit back on if you had the floats flipped over.

38Low.jpg

Don't mind the ruler reading, it's off because of the viewing angle.

Just to add to what 5twins said; ............I was checking my carbs recently, and yes, if the floats are installed upside down, the float bowls will not go on.

Back