BS38s mixture screw: spring?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just replaced some jets on my carbs and cleaned them out. I noticed that only one of my idle mixture screws has a spring. I can't seem to figure out if this is because the PO screwed up and PUT a spring there that is unnecessary or because they screwed up and FORGOT to put a spring on the other one, lol. Let me know when you get a sec. Thanks.

Dave

It should have a spring. It needs one so your adjustment setting stays put. Some years had o-rings too ('78-'79 BS38s, all BS34s).

Gotcha. Well then I have one it seems, maybe the other is stuck in there lol. If not, does Mike's sell em? I'm having trouble finding them on the site. Or can I just get a generic spring of that size and shape from Home Depot or something?

Yes, check the hole. They stay stuck in there sometimes. I suppose anything that matches up close enough would work. Like I said, all it does is keep tension on the screw so it doesn't come out of adjustment. That's why carb mix screw settings usually don't exceed 3 to 4 turns out. Beyond that, the spring isn't keeping tension on the screw any more.

Back