BUB exhaust xs650 2 into 2

XS771

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
On 11/1/11 I placed a order for xs650 exhaust yesterday was the 3rd time the order was delayed they now say it will be 2 more weeks . I live in south central Texas the weather is perfect now ,if I lived way the Hell up north I wouldn't care because it would be too damn cold to ride. I heard that BUB makes damn good exhaust and been around since 1978 and made the best exhaust for the XS650 . I was wondering should I cancel and go with a different pipe or are BUB pipes worth waiting for. The only pipes I'm interested in are 2 into 2 that look like the stock pipes . are there any other good quality performance pipes that sound good but not too loud and make more power for the '81 special.

Long time ago I order a complete BUB system for my R90/S,opened the box for inspection,re-sealed the box and shipped it back. Look for something else would be my advice.

Bub is supposed to be top of the line for the xs650. My mentor, who steered me to the xs when I decided to get back into riding, runs a set of 2 into 2's. A bit too pricey for me but he gets the best that he can.

Long time ago I order a complete BUB system for my R90/S,opened the box for inspection,re-sealed the box and shipped it back. Look for something else would be my advice.
I guess I'll wait and have a look at the BUB pipes . I have heard good reviews on the XS650 pipes I don't know anything about their other pipes. If I don't like them I'll send them back. what did you not like about the BUB pipes for your BMW ?

I have a couple BUB exhaust products I purchased probably about 15 years ago. I have a full Conti replica exhaust on my Moto Guzzi and slip-on mufflers on one of my BMWs. The full system fit up nice on the MG but I had to do some modding to the hanger mounts on the BMW to get adequate bag clearance. You will probably get a nice quality system made from nice heavy high quality steel. You may just need to do some dicking around to get it mounted up properly.

I have Rinehart 2:1, made by Bub's on my softail and my Dad has Bub's duals on his elecrtaglide. Mine kind of look yellowish and had a problem with the heat shield not fitting correctly and was a pain in the ass to get another one. The company servise sucked! On my dad's, the chrome is peeling off the end caps, which they wont replace. I would never buy Bub's products again!

Here's a pic of a xs650 with BUB pipes here in Austin

Attachments

• 165725_481090727180_161424537180_6499546_115197_n.jpg
    165725_481090727180_161424537180_6499546_115197_n.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 642
I guess I'll wait and have a look at the BUB pipes . I have heard good reviews on the XS650 pipes I don't know anything about their other pipes. If I don't like them I'll send them back. what did you not like about the BUB pipes for your BMW ?
The chroming wasn't up to par and the whole system just looked cheaply made.So I bought stock headers and Super Trapp mufflerrs:) But in the picture above the Bubs do look nice

Maybe back in the day they were worth it but now, well, I recommend the Mike's Commando system. It works well. Years back, there was a write-up in the BMW Owner's Club mag. It was about the LaCarlala (or something of the sort), basically a road race on the Mexican highways. Now this is different than drag racing - you need sustained power for hours, not 10 seconds. That means tuning parameters are different. THEY FOUND THAT THE BEST EXHAUST FOR A TWIN CYLINDER 4 STROKE WAS A LONG 2 INTO 2 ....... nuff said I think ...... buy the Commando exhaust from Mike's, it's probably the best system available at the moment.

Maybe back in the day they were worth it but now, well, I recommend the Mike's Commando system. It works well. Years back, there was a write-up in the BMW Owner's Club mag. It was about the LaCarlala (or something of the sort), basically a road race on the Mexican highways. Now this is different than drag racing - you need sustained power for hours, not 10 seconds. That means tuning parameters are different. THEY FOUND THAT THE BEST EXHAUST FOR A TWIN CYLINDER 4 STROKE WAS A LONG 2 INTO 2 ....... nuff said I think ...... buy the Commando exhaust from Mike's, it's probably the best system available at the moment.
Thanks 5twins and everyone else for the reply's .What commando exhaust from Mikes would work the best for a '81 xs650sh with center stand and passenger pegs?

This is what I believe that I'm running- http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0747.html
Not 100% sure as I got them 3rd hand.
Here's a short video of the sound-
The tone, to me, is perfect through the entire range. The performance is as good if not better than stock for the Specials....plus the price is about half that for the Bubs. There's a bit of an odd offset on the left header. If you look closely to the stock headers on your bike from the front/center, you'll notice the left header doesn't curve past the downtube as far as the right side does. These headers are equidistant from their respective downtubes for symmetry and then the left header makes a bit of a bend back toward the lower frame to be able to utilize the front stock header mount.
My bike is an '83 working its way towards a non-existant '75 Special......just need the dam fuel tank......

Thanks nj1639 I like the looks and sound of those pipes. I'm tempted to call Bub and say cancel the order and get Mikes.

Just 3 days ago I was able to buy these OEM Yamaha stock exhausts for my 78 SE. My stock exhausts, while still functional, had quite a few dents and road rash.

These are in remarkable condition, and I paid only $140.00. I like the sound and appearance of the OEM exhaust. The stock double headpipes is good to have as well. These OEM's are high quality and made from thick steel. A rare find, so I'm happy to get them.

The left is 3U6-14710 which makes it an 81 to 83 part, and appears to never have been in use on a bike. The right is 2M0-14720 which is 78 to 80, and looks to have been used on a bike for a year or two.

Attachments

• 2011-12-22140532.jpg
    2011-12-22140532.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 257
That's the same exhaust I have now and they're near perfect condition too . The stock pipes are good quality and look nice I just don't like the cross over pipe it really makes it a pain to take on and off . I just want to try a performance pipe that flows better and makes more H.P. . I've done the stock air box mod and installed K&N replacement filters and got the 650 central Jet Kit and use a 145 main jet on the stock carbs also used a long drill bit to open up the stock exhaust . It runs and sounds way better now, the bike only has 2,760 original miles so I plan on riding it for a long time.

Back