Buckhorn gang - Upper brake line length?

thuban

Horse Scratcher
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know. But I found a pair of stock buckhorn bars with the Yamaha sticker still on them. Looks like they set about an inch higher than mine. But the bar positioning will be different and the gentle roll. My upper line is about 17.5 inches and it JUST fits. I was just wondering what line length the buckhorn gang is running. ( My bars are bent about an inch down on the clutch side. No one sees it but if bugs me. I have to take my bars off anyway to straighten them so...) Thanks.
Thu

Last edited:
I know. But I found a pair of stock buckhorn bars with the Yamaha sticker still on them. Looks like they set about an inch higher than mine. But the bar positioning will be different and the gentle roll. My upper line is about 17.5 inches and it JUST fits. I was just wondering what line length the buckhorn gang is running. ( My bars are bent about an inch down on the clutch side. No one sees it but if bugs me. I have to take my bars off anyway to straighten them so...) Thanks.
Thu

Hi thuban,
I just checked Mikes XS to find the correct length but they don't tell you that, just what model each hose will fit.
If a 17.5" brake line just fits your bikes 'bars a 20" line will give you that little bit of extra length which makes things easier.
But as the book sez those stock fabric lines are only good for 5 years perhaps now is the time to upgrade?
Suggest you swap in a full length stainless braided plastic brake line instead.

Interestingly, Mike's XS no longer lists a stock replacement brake line for a Special. They list length for standard bars as 17".

So thuban, you didn't get the word that Special bars are unacceptable? You can't steer with them. :poke:

23592210_10210640860073935_762260726225627068_o.jpg

If I can remember, I'll get you a measurement tonight. That is, if no one steps up first. I have XS1100 and XS650 Specials with stock bars.

Did just this week measure my 77-79 Standard model Master Cylinder hose length at 41cm.
17.5” is a bit on the long side but Mikes tolerances are as we suspect Wide Open +or-
:lmao:

Attachments

• 198A5B77-AF44-42B0-ABDE-A7E344583030.jpeg
    198A5B77-AF44-42B0-ABDE-A7E344583030.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 83
You're a brave man Thu... taunting the buckhorn nazi's like this.... :rolleyes:
Where I got mine, they came in 10cm increments. I figured 50cm (19.5 ish") would be too short so I ordered the 60 (23.5 ish). The 60 is too big. It works but the loop down through the triple could be smaller. Next spring I might try the 50cm.

…"can't steer with them?" Story of my life. I didn't get the memo.:shrug: Fred, I bet 20 inch would work. Or the stainless one piece. I'd need to look at that.
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.
Jim, I still have to drain out the 20 w fork oil and replace it with the 10 W. Those guys that ride the bobbers...Woof! "...taunting" It's not like I'm welding them on; hmmmmm

Back