Buell bikes live again....interesting approach

I always thought Eric Buell was a real innovator. Harley Davidson never really let him create the bikes he wanted to do. Although I really liked the Ulysses . Too bad he never had the success that his talent deserved.
Anyone here ever have one? :cool:

Last edited:
I agree MM. Some interesting engineering that was stymied by Harley treating it as a step-up bike, hoping those that bought a Buell would eventually trade up to a "real" Harley. Top brass at Harley never liked the idea of the Buell brand being distributed as part of the Harley network of dealerships. Never owned one but was always intrigued by his innovations. Oil tank-in-swingarm, tank in frame, etc.

G'day,

I once road tested one and I quickly found out why an air cooled machine required an electric cooling fan.

I live in the tropics and the fuel in the frame quickly heated up and made it very uncomfortable.

Innovative especially that front disc brake, maybe a handy machine in a cooler climate.

GW

I think "production" iz a bit of an exaggeration.
For now "Assembled from mostly leftover parts" is prolly closer to the trooth.
I wish Bill Melvin all the luck, he'll need it. This a toy for him and his Liquid Asset Partners, a large industrial and retail liquidation Company.
I really like the EBR and Eric Buell. But his life fits a somewhat common mold:

Savant inventor engineer is bursting with incredible innovative ideas, production is required to support the stream of high tech innovation. But his heart just isn't into the grind that building consistent reliable product always is. Once the "new toy" is in production, all interest is lost and it's on to the next "new thing", the niggling details are never attended to. And he can't let a "bean counter" engineer make needed changes to the "brilliant design" to improve profitability and reliability. A sketchy reputation for reliability and support dooms sales. Always funded on a shoestring, there's a trail of disillusioned backers investments gone, and unpaid vendors. The downward financial spiral seals the company's fate.

Liquid Asset Partners recently bought the remains of Motus also.
Rumors have Eric tinkering with electric motorcycles. But it's been quiet since April of 2018.

kool aid.jpg

Mailman did you put 2XSive up to starting this thread? :cool:

Last edited:
Hahaha! Oh yeah! Nice bike!
EE35FDBC-F838-4348-A8A8-BE868316FB38.jpeg You go Maverick!
We’re gonna need some details.....like how did that rocket wind up in a barn full of old XS’s?

Yeah I rode this bike at an International Bike Show in Phoenix when it was new. My legs were just almost long enough for that sky high seat. But man was it a nice bike. It had an electric cooling fan for that famously hot rear cylinder and it was really loud, but that was forgotten as soon as you were moving. It had really nice torque and a nice sounding exhaust. I would’ve bought one.
A1DAF5F9-E035-4B57-BB84-B205172F6200.jpeg

To me it seems like typical looks + too heavy + under-powered + overly-complicated + over-priced + no upside in particular. Could be wrong, but is still the impression.

Last edited:
Back