Build a springer?

mpiersd

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Anyone here done it? Saw a great looking springer over at RedNeck Engineering, but I can't see spending over $1100 for one when I've seen some available for half that.
Wondering what kind of "engineering" needs to go into it. Aside from some serious TIG skills.

Hoping Punkskalar chimes in.

Well, you could buy a DNA springer, but they are universally known to be noisy, and not ride all that well... You can download springer plans from Crime Scene Choppers, and modify them to suit your needs...

I am just now starting a Girder Build - Should be cool. I finished the top tree last night.

100_6671.jpg

More on that here: http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2011/06/beginnings-of-girder.html

PS - TIG is over rated, so long as you can lay a strong MIG bead, the TIG is just a nicer finish, but not required... The strength of the part will be in the design, the welding is just extra security

As far as engineering, not all springers are a "Bolt-On" deal, even if they actually fit the bike. Rake, trail and wheel diameter need to be taken into account when designing the forks... If you are any good with CAD, you can layout most parts to be laser cut or water jetted, and then assemble...

If you are any good with CAD...
I built a 500 Caddy engine in high school for a friends 82 Malibu, oh wait....
This is the springer I found, It just looks simple and clean to me. And in my head looks awesome on a "chunky" tire bobber.

Redneck-Springer-02.jpg

Last edited:
You can order all the builder parts from Paughco as well, springs, sleeves, hardware, etc...

Why is it, that whenever you answer a question that I have, I say to myself, "Duh Self, why didn't you think of that."
You seem to have the obvious answers that allude me.

I think the Army Aviation "In the Box" maintenance mindset has killed my imagination and thought process.

My dna springer rides fantastic and doesn't make any noise. Maybe because its still new and tight. I have heard many times how bad they are but haven't experienced it at all

Back