Build Thread: My first 650 and not going original!

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, spent the day yesterday tearing this baby down. Need to get the engine out of the frame yet and the bolts are pretty tight---sprayed some penetrating oil on the bolts and will have a go at it again tonight.

First question I need to get out of the way and because this is the first time I have really attempted a 650--but really like them because they are pretty easy. How do I lower the front end on stock forks?

Attachments

• 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 147
Yeah, I actually found that thread after searching some more. Doesn't look like it is that hard. Do you know where a person can find new headlight ears or something to put in place of the originals? I don't like the ones that are on there now.

Oh my, the things people do, lol. Yes, flipping the top tree lowers the front but still having 6" of fork travel means the fork lowers can slam into the lower tree on big bumps. There are kits made to reduce fork travel and properly lower your front end. I would use one of those, but that's just me. On second thought, maybe you should just flip the tree. You're already taking the sawzall to one of the most desirable 650 models out there, the '77 Standard. Might as well add a little injury (yours, when you hit that 1st big bump) to the insult.

Oh my, the things people do, lol. Yes, flipping the top tree lowers the front but still having 6" of fork travel means the fork lowers can slam into the lower tree on big bumps. There are kits made to reduce fork travel and properly lower your front end. I would use one of those, but that's just me. On second thought, maybe you should just flip the tree. You're already taking the sawzall to one of the most desirable 650 models out there, the '77 Standard. Might as well add a little injury (yours, when you hit that 1st big bump) to the insult.
I kinda hope he is one of those guys who doesn't think you need front brakes .

ok, you are going to have to fill me in why the 77 is so desirable. I still have all the parts..

I haven't chopped a thing yet plus every other bike I have done has been back to original so easily could go that route.

question, for most of you dropping the front end, do you need to drop it about 3" to make it flat across the bike? If you buy Hugh's lowering kit, would that do it?

Ok, the bike is stripped down completely and engine is out of the frame. What do most of you use to clean the engine up? Soda? Duro Aluminum Cleaner? I have used degreaser before on another restoration and will NEVER do that again, turned aluminum black and was a beotch to get off again. Also, having a heck of a time getting the swingarm bolt out---it is literally stuck. Sprayed it with penetrating oil this morning where the grease zirks were and tonight it will be a sledge helping move it out---thanks 5Twins for the advice.

Attachments

• 77 engine.jpg
    77 engine.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 77 Yamaha frame.jpg
    77 Yamaha frame.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 147
Finally was able to get the swingarm bolt out--man that was nasty. I had to put an open end wrench on the one end as a last resort and try and wiggle it each way---not much room as you know because it hits against the stopper but it worked. To my amazement I think it has never bushings in there and it was loaded with grease. But it was good and stuck. Well, onto the next thing.

Ok, the bike is stripped down completely and engine is out of the frame. What do most of you use to clean the engine up? Soda? Duro Aluminum Cleaner? I have used degreaser before on another restoration and will NEVER do that again, turned aluminum black and was a beotch to get off again. Also, having a heck of a time getting the swingarm bolt out---it is literally stuck. Sprayed it with penetrating oil this morning where the grease zirks were and tonight it will be a sledge helping move it out---thanks 5Twins for the advice.

Well, went digging for some goodies yesterday. Would you consider this heaven or ??? This is like a fifth of the space that they actually have all filled with bike stuff. Crazy

Attachments

• heaven.jpg
    heaven.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 143
Definitely a lot of stuff in that boneyard that a person can retro to fit on a bike of any shape or size.

Ok, cut all the tabs off the frame except for the main stand tabs. Is there a reason why people dont' keep it for using the main stand or is it just the pure weight of it?

Also, cut down my front fender and in doing so, thinking maybe the bottom portion of the front fender might just work to use as a rear fender but not sure. I would have to add to it for sure.

Attachments

• back fender.jpg
    back fender.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 128
  • framewithoutstuff.jpg
    framewithoutstuff.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
  • front fender.jpg
    front fender.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 122
Back