Built a bike lift out of an old pallet.

Nice platform. As they say... free stuff is good stuff.
Greetings from across the river. Welcome to the circus. :D
Jim, Thanks. Are you a KCVJMC member? We've probably crossed paths at a show or Greaserama.

Compared to a ramp I suppose hydraulic is better. Once you go pneumatic you'll never go back.
I looked at a HF lift. The display lift in the store had braces under it to hold it up. Hydraulics should not leak down if they are of good quality. No thanks.
View attachment 177457
I used to have a Motion Pro lift just like that but it was discarded during one the moves across country when I was in the Navy. We were overweight and I couldn't justify keeping it since I wasn't making my living working motorcycles any more. As of right now most anything that finds its way up on the table with the exception of this bike, will most likely live there for a while as my other two projects are basket cases. So not much need for on and off the lift. One day I may have cause to buy another pneumatic lift but right now that money can be better spent on bike parts...

Here's my "freebie". Years ago, I helped a plumber buddy of mine install a whole house air conditioner. The old unit was sitting on this stand and he was just going to scrap it. I could see that with a few mods, it would make the perfect bike work table. So, I added extensions front and rear, installed a shelf underneath, and put it on wheels .....

faodRlB.jpg

It is, in fact, what my 1st 650 got built on .....

V2krhbW.jpg

FyBOf6G.jpg

I have to agree with Gary though, for one man operation, you can't beat the hydraulic lift tables. Getting a bike on and off this table requires a ramp and some help. It's very similar to loading a bike onto your pick-up or into a van. But, the price was right, lol.

5Twins, is that an R60/2?

Compared to a ramp I suppose hydraulic is better. Once you go pneumatic you'll never go back.
I looked at a HF lift. The display lift in the store had braces under it to hold it up. Hydraulics should not leak down if they are of good quality. No thanks.
View attachment 177457
Like most things you get what you pay for. My lift is most likely equivalent to a HF unit. The hydraulics don’t leak (yet) but I always install the supplied safety rod when it’s in the air and lower the lift onto the rod. Even if I paid 4x the price for the lift I wouldn’t work on the bike or go near the lift without the safety in place. Same as I would never go under my jacked up car without axle stands being in place.
Btw that’s a sturdy looking lift I the pic. I like the safety support mechanism. Simple yet effective.

Like most things you get what you pay for. My lift is most likely equivalent to a HF unit. The hydraulics don’t leak (yet) but I always install the supplied safety rod when it’s in the air and lower the lift onto the rod. Even if I paid 4x the price for the lift I wouldn’t work on the bike or go near the lift without the safety in place. Same as I would never go under my jacked up car without axle stands being in place.
Btw that’s a sturdy looking lift I the pic. I like the safety support mechanism. Simple yet effective.
You are 100% correct about using the safety supports on any lifting device.
Like I said I considered the HF style lift. Between the reviews and their in store display I decided to look around for used air lift tables. I ended up getting 2. I paid less for the 2 of them than one new air lift would have been. Each cost me about what a new HF would have been. And the first one I bought was still in the crate, never had been set up. Another nice thing about the air tables is they usually have a decent wheel clamp on them, no need the modify or buy a different clamp.
From time to time they show up on Craigslist or Facebook.
Hmmm.
https://appleton.craigslist.org/mpo/d/nekoosa-motorcycle-air-lift/7216253850.html
upload_2020-10-19_11-2-17.png

The bike in that 1st pic is an R90/6/2, what they call a "conversion". You take a larger '70s or newer BMW motor and cram it into a '60s /2 frame. Excellent for sidecar work but pretty cool on it's own too .....

7l6G0DF.jpg

The bike in that 1st pic is an R90/6/2, what they call a "conversion". You take a larger '70s or newer BMW motor and cram it into a '60s /2 frame. Excellent for sidecar work but pretty cool on it's own too .....

7l6G0DF.jpg
That is RAD! I love those old BMW opposed twins. Always wanted a /2. I've been oogling the new R18 but I don't think the wife is gonna let me drop 20k on a new bike.

Back